Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about the P10
RE: Question about the P10
Well I slept last night using the Nuance. Woke up with slightly sore nostrils and marks on the side of my face at my cheekbones. The RT had adjusted it at the DME office she used the medium pillows and said I may actually need the small ones (which were included along with the large). So I swapped em out and will see what happens tonight. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2016, 10:24 AM)Rick_V Wrote: Well I slept last night using the Nuance. Woke up with slightly sore nostrils and marks on the side of my face at my cheekbones. The RT had adjusted it at the DME office she used the medium pillows and said I may actually need the small ones (which were included along with the large). So I swapped em out and will see what happens tonight. Dont-know

Try loosening the straps. If you have marks on your face, they are too tight. Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2016, 11:08 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 10:24 AM)Rick_V Wrote: Well I slept last night using the Nuance. Woke up with slightly sore nostrils and marks on the side of my face at my cheekbones. The RT had adjusted it at the DME office she used the medium pillows and said I may actually need the small ones (which were included along with the large). So I swapped em out and will see what happens tonight. Dont-know

Try loosening the straps
. If you have marks on your face, they are too tight. Smile
Tried that last night and then I got leaks hopefully the small size pillow will work better.Seems strange that the small pillows will work for me I don't have that small of a nose. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone had problems with sores developing inside the nostrils when using nasal pillows? I have been using the P10 for a month and now have a series of sores, which can be quite painful. That doesn't really help with sleep. I am treating with antibiotic creams but these do not seem to work. Thanks for letting me know your experiences and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2016, 11:37 PM)rfin16 Wrote: Has anyone had problems with sores developing inside the nostrils when using nasal pillows? I have been using the P10 for a month and now have a series of sores, which can be quite painful. That doesn't really help with sleep. I am treating with antibiotic creams but these do not seem to work. Thanks for letting me know your experiences and suggestions.

A lot of the problem usually is the wrong size nasal pillow. Try one size larger.

Also be sure you are using either a nasal gel or lanolin cream.

To allow the sores to heal, try using a different style mask for awhile.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now and than my nostrils do get sore with pillows. Cream and switching for a night or two to a non pillow mask cures that. Now, I have DreamWear for such an occasion. Gentle on the nose and comphortable. Highly recommend it as a secondary mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use Ayr for nasal gel.
Use dreamwear for backup mask.
Fit the P10 properly if you get it. Follow instructions precisely. As stated above, resistance is futile.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
try the next size up pillows (unless you are already using the biggest...) they wont go so far up the shnozz
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Just saw this thread and wanted to weigh in on a few points.

Rick_V.. good luck on your quest for nasal pillow comfort, you won't regret it. In my experience, the solution to uncomfortable, leaky nasal pillows is to go UP a size NOT down a size. Larger size nasal pillows seem to be more comfortable and seal more gently and effectively on the rim of the nostrils. Plus the bigger air hole provides a better flow. I only know what works for me, but seems like you want to shoot for the largest size pillows for which the air hole is not bigger than your nostril. They are so soft that they will not stretch your nostril nor rub the skin, but too small a size will move around and also project further into your nostrils. I suspect people get irritation and sores from wearing a size too small.

Side sleeper ... I am a side sleeper and I love the P10! There is no need to strap a hose up over your head. Not sure about others but I tend to sleep on the right side most of the time. So all I do is run the umbilical hose down my chest and let the main hose run under my left arm. The main hose is rigid enough that you aren't going to crush by rolling over on it. I rarely turn over and lay on the hose, but when that happens I wake up and reposition it. Not an issue at all for this side sleeper. It's not like a full face mask that woke me up several times each night if I naturally moved around or pressed my face into the pillow. The umbilical hose itself is very light weight, you don't even feel it.

Pivot ... while it's true the P-10 does not pivot at the mask, the umbilical hose does pivot at the connection to the CPAP hose. Again this has not been an issue for this side sleeper.

My therapy improved significantly when I switched from F&P Simplus (which is a FFM I also like a lot) to the P-10 nasal pillows. The mask is so much lighter weight. The umbilical hose is much nicer than hooking the heavy weight main hose to your face mask. My auto set 90% air pressure dropped from being in the 11's down to the 8's which was noticeably more comfortble (it would even go lower but I am less comfortable below 8 so after experimenting a little I set 8 as a minimum for personal comfort). Using the nasal pillows the comfort and quality of sleep is much better for me.

Mouth Breathers ... P.S. I am also a mouth breather who was steered away from nasal pillows on the night of the titration study, and it took me a couple of months of experimenting with FFMs without eliminating air leaks to try a chin strap. Mouth leaks went away the first night with a chin strap, and it was so effective with the FFM that I began to wonder if I might be able to try nasal pillows. A week later I was hooked on the P-10 and never looked back.

Stuffy noses... Another thing that comes up from time to time is what happens when you have a cold? Conventional wisdom is keep your FFM around for when you can't breathe through your nose. My recent experience with a sinus infection was that the gentle air pressure of the nasal pillows actually helped me breath when in the past the stuffy nose might have kept me awake. Only one morning did I wake up to a slightly messy mask, but that was easy to clean up. Based on my experience, I would recommend trying to keep using the nasal mask through colds and stuffy noses and only fall back on a FFM if you find the nasal pillows are not usable. I also used night-time-quil-ish meds to help alleviate congestion. I might have been lucky but never had to bail for the FFM and I was pretty sick for a couple of weeks.

Bottom line is I would encourage my side-sleeping mouth-breathing (even stuffy nosed) brothers and sisters to consider nasal pillows -- if they can work for you it will be a big improvement. YMMV, but don't be reluctant to explore it if you can.

The only down side of my current P-10, chin strap rig is the chin strap leaves lines on my cheeks for an hour or so after I wake up. If anyone has a solution for that it's something I would like to improve if I can.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
I too found going up a size to the Medium P10 Nasal Pillows from Small prevented leaks when sleeping on my side. I mainly try and sleep on my side but of course I can't control it sometimes when I am asleep and will wake sometimes when I am on my back. I like sleeping on my back but realise that it is not the best position for my breathing so try to avoid this sleep position as much as I possibly can.

I have trained myself to keep my mouth shut at night and the only time there is a problem is if I sleep on my back in heavy REM sleep when the air flow or is it pressure, is the highest and I move then air streams out of my mouth. I am even getting used to that infrequent occurrence and just shut my mouth and turn back onto my side and go off to sleep again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,422 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.