Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask
Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask
Hey everyone, 
I keep having large leaks (21 or greater) with f and p vitera full face mask. I also have a beard that i dont really want to get rid of. I also wear a chin strap so that my jaw doesnt drop at night and mess up the leak (but it does lol). Would love some advice. Im using a small size right now but i have tried medium as well and the leaks were bigger. Maybe i should try the simplus mask, heard its good for beard people. 
thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask
The Vitera is the second generation of the Simplus. Where are the leaks emanating from? Most leaks occur because the user tightens the top straps. It may seem counterintuitive, but the top straps are left somewhat loose to barely having in tension on them. Another trick that I have found helpful is after you get to therapy pressure, is to slightly pull the mask away from your face and left the roll seal expand. Release the mask, and it will ("usually?") seal even better.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask
I've been able to do very well with the Fisher and Paykel Vitera. But I don't have a beard. I also have the Simplus which is similar, looks and material feel is a bit different but I think the fit is very close.

Here's my Vitera for method:
Don't worry about messing up stats too much while fitting. Just mentally note that was your mask fitting session.
1. Lie back on your bed, turn on PAP, put the mask on with very loose straps.
2. Start at the bottom set, add very slight tension and lick the Velcro.
3. Same for top set, very little tension.
4. Top of head strap, loosen it then pull the mask straight up off your face to break seal, then resettle a bit lower down the nasal bridge, where you still have some seal area at chin though.
5. Adjust top of head straps for this position. Moderate tight is ok here as I use this as a reference guide on installing mask next time.
6. Check for mask leaks, then shake mask up/down and left/right.
7. There's leaks probably, add slightly more tension to seal it. It should never be so tight as to squash the seal bellows.

Note my problem area was the nasal bridge. I had to play with placement to get that as good as I could, the rest was fine then.

Note 2, if the mask leaks after wearing it a bit, it's likely been moved. Reset the seal by pulling mask up slightly to allow seal to reset. Then let mask resettle. Don't release straps though. All the above applied to Simplus too.

PS I used the masks on a ResMed ASV with Max IPAP at 25 and these masks will handle that.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 279 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 860 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,795 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,567 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.