Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about when I can get replacement machine?
Question about when I can get replacement machine?
Hi All, 

I've not been active here for a long time but know that this is THE place to find answers. 

I've had my machine about 4 years now give or take. At what point will insurance be willing to get me a new machine? Will my old one have to die a horrible death first? I also live in fear of it dying and my having to go ANY time without my machine! I won't so much as nap without my cpap. 

I'd love to be able to retire this old girl to my daughter's house if not, so I don't have to tote it back and forth to Texas every few months to visit. 

Also do companies tend to change the ways hoses etc attach or might one hope to get a machine from same company that still fits one's as yet unused hoses etc. Mine is a Resmed. 

Thanks in advance, 

The Manse Hen.
AKA Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about when I can get replacement machine?
Typically the life of these machines is 5 yrs or about 15,000 blower hours. the most cost effective way of dealing with this is often to look on Craigs List and buy a used machine, or look at Supplier #2 on our supplier list who have reasonably priced new and open box machines with warranty
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe many insurance companies in the States will replace a machine at 5 years. Check with your insurer.

The Resmed A10 is still a current model, so all your hoses would fit a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe many insurance companys have a rent to own policy. Last year my insurance deductable was met and I thought I  could get a machine basically for free. Not so ! I had to make monthly payments and when I did the math it was cheaper to buy my own.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I have seen some used machines of my type on craigslist here and when visiting my daughter in Dallas on her Craigs. I know how to look at hours used etc, and I expect there is probably a guide or forum question/answer here somewhere as to what to look out for when getting a second hand machine. Some of the ads look suspicious to me because they appear repeatedly, like who is getting so many machines to resell? or new in box? I definitely think my machine is acting up as the blowing/pressure seems absent and very different than it did now that I've got these headaches and am focusing on it. I've looked at machines like mine from some of the sellers online and they are still twice what a used would be if not more. The second hand one's are surely less than my co-pays would be and even the new one's from the online suppliers are likely about even...I will likely be uninsured in a couple years due to husband's retirement. I've gotten to where I'm not getting as many of the supply refills as I could have because I use them slower than they will give them to me, but I'm thinking I should start filling those consistently for the days ahead ...so much to think about. Thanks you all. Nice to see some names I remember from my early days on the board.

Susan
Aka the manse hen
Post Reply Post Reply
There are legitimate sales of Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machines that direct the prospective buyer to call for details and ordering. These new machines are advertised on local Craigslists nationwide, and come from a couple of distributor/wholesalers that offer the new machines with warrant services, but do not offer DME services. The require payment by Paypal, and the cost is close to $500. If you see this and want one of these, I suggest you make the call and get details. A number of members on the forum have made that contact, and the sales turn out to be legitimate deals.

For individual sales of machines, it is important to talk to the person. It is very easy to tell if it is someone that doesn't think they need the machine or is selling for a family member. The best approach is to buy in person and at a neutral location, such as Starbucks where you can plug in the machine and see the run-hours. You can practice using our own machine how to quickly find that information. These are always cash deals and are negotiable, but you must verify model, operating condition and hours.

Supplier #2 tends to be a bit higher priced but comes with a warranty. If I was looking for the Airsense 10 Autoset today, I would consider the one being sold (new) by Supplier #2 at $749, and I might move to the amazing deal on the $799 Aircurve 10 Vauto bilevel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, 

Nice to see you and other familiar faces still going strong on the apnea board! You all are what makes it great!

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE1: Question about when I can get replacement machine?
If you have insurance, they should also cover a new machine if your circumstances change.  For example, my sleep study a year ago determined that a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto should work for me.  I then developed central apneas which could only be treated with a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV.  My insurance paid 85% of the first machine cost a year ago and then another 85% a year later for the ASV machine.  Off course the change in circumstance needs to be verified in some manner agreeable with your doctor.  In my case, Sleephead charts convinced my doctor to prescribe an ASV Titration Sleep Study which met my insurance companies requirements to pay for a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 1 26 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jay51
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,446 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 225 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,864 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,421 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,043 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 260 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.