Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question for Dad
Question for Dad
I hope this is allowed. But I have an 88 year old father who has had sleep apea for many years.  He finally agreed to a sleep study and was fitted with a CPAP achine. He started using a full mask CPAP machine a few months ago and includes oxygen to help with brain cell damage. He has been using successfully every night and says he sleeps great. But sometimes he may remove the mask around 5am and fall back asleep without the machine on.  She is worried this is not good for him with the lack of oxygen for a couple of hours. Is this really harmful or do you think the two hours is not really something to worry about?  Thanks!! Susan Kelly

Sorry just realized part of my question was deleted while typing. Still getting used to this. 
I was saying my Mom says she can hear him snoring and stop breathing during the two hours or so that he is not on the machine. She is worried...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question for Dad
Welcome to the forum.

The bottom line is that if a CPAP machine is not used it is not effective.

I use mine ALL the time, even when I'm taking a nap, or a "rest" lying down.

If he is using an O2 monitor, what is it going down to and for how long?  (below 90% is typically treated)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. The best thing is to keep the mask on. If you don't have a oximeter you should buy one. You can get a cheap one at any drug store. Easy to use. Just slip it on a finger and push a button. For even better monitoring you can buy online a recording oximeter that measures the O2 level all night.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Skelly1230,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would be much better if your Dad could keep his mask on all night.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
I wish your Dad good luck with his CPAP therapy, and getting used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I convinced my dad to get cpap after I started therapy and he can't sleep without it now. Stay concerned about your dad, your doing a good job by asking! I think you've come to the right place for advice as well.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all!!  I will work to convince him to have it on anytime he is sleeping. That extra 2 hours without may be a harm after all 

Thank you?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,425 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.