Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question for Michigan Members Here
Question for Michigan Members Here
I noticed a few here posted they were from Michigan.  I also read someone stating they were waiting to get into U of M's Sleep Clinic.  From what I've read, it seems that may be the best facility in the state.  Their wait to get in is ridiculous sadly.  No appointments until August IF you have a referring doc from U of M.   That puts you in a world of hurt when you need care now.  I do not understand how the wait is so long for something so critical to a patient.

I see they do end tidal CO2 testing and some other stuff regular labs seem to care less about.  When I mentioned that test to another place, they didn't care a bit.  It means a lot to be when supposedly diagnosed with OHS.  I want to know for sure what I'm dealing with and not guessing as my data is on the border.

If you have any positive or not so positive feedback on U of M, I'd love to hear it.  if any other facilities you feel are comparable from an up-to-date perspective, let me know too. I want to be sure I'm going to a highly experienced facility with staff who are up-to-date on the latest trends. It may be a losing situation overall, but it's worth getting the best opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question for Michigan Members Here
from what I know waits to get an in-lab sleep test are ridiculously long. on UofM I've heard nothing either way
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2023, 09:23 PM)Gideon Wrote: from what I know waits to get an in-lab sleep test are ridiculously long.  on UofM I've heard nothing either way

My local doctor used to have a 2-3 week wait at most.  Another University hospital is about a 4-5 week wait.  The 4-5 month wait is more than I've experienced when it comes to a polysomnogram. The crazy part is I think I read they have 30+ beds there too!  I guess there's a boatload of sleep apnea patients out there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to the U of M sleep lab (off State Street near I94) years ago when i was first diagnosed with sleep apnea. I know this was years ago like 2009, but they it was a mediocre experience to say the least. They put me through a full battery of tests even though I had pretty much self-diagnosed myself with OSA. There was little to no personal attention other than one of the techs that helped me find a mask that fit during the second (titration study). Unbelievably after the first test I was not notified by my primary care doctor (also U of M, now Michigan Medicine). I realized I was confirmed to have OSA with an AHI of 14 after a new diagnosis alert appeared on my WebMD record through insurance and work. I called my doctor obviously upset after going months after the first test without being notified. The DME process was horrible also as my Blue Cross of MA insurance only worked with Promedica (Toledo, OH) for a DME which was a 1 hour drive. My CPAP journey turned out fine however, thanks mostly to other people on forums like this that provided me with guidance, education and support. I have been using CPAP successfully since then and am sure it has added years to my life.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 285 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Admin Note] Members-Only FILES SuperSleeper 13 399 02-16-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Admin Note] Rules addition - minimum age of members SuperSleeper 8 1,892 09-16-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Mod Note] GDPR consent for our EU and EEC members SuperSleeper 3 515 09-13-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  looking for a critique? senior members? advise? please help Dchurch 2 507 03-28-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Dchurch
  ISO MEMBERS WITH ST-A EXPERIENCE Plmnb 0 407 03-26-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Equipment] FYI for VA veteran members djensen9367 2 924 05-16-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: djensen9367

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.