Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question from a newbie - need to monitor oxygen?
RE: Question from a newbie
(04-08-2013, 12:01 AM)Purdue writer Wrote: Thanks everyone. I have another question: how accurate is the Res med at detecting central apneas? My data shows a few of these. Is this a concern?

Central apnea is no more harmful than obstructive apnea, just harder to eliminate.

Learn to look at your airflow waveforms and see how long the centrals last and how completely you stop breathing.

For your health, worry about the number of apneas, not the type. Central vs. obstructive becomes important when you can't reduce the severity of your apnea by increasing the pressure.

Centrals may also increase with pressure.

If you're asleep and the S9 classifies it as a central, it probably is. If you're awake, neither centrals nor obstructives are particularly meaningful. I suspect ResMed or PRS1 may sometimes classify centrals as obstructive, but they will flag them as an apnea of some type.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much. I am getting used to having the machine on at night. It's certainly not my favorite thing, but I have to say it really doesn't bother me much. I had forgotten what it was like to sleep. Amazing. I feel soooo much better! My AHIs continue to come down. Nearly always below 5 now. I even had a 0.3!

I really appreciate this group and have learned so much just from reading the posts. Thank you, thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
If your AHI's are below 5 you're golden.
Below one you're platinum.

Good job and keep hanging in there!

=^.^=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.