Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560
Question 
Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560
I’ve used my CPAP machine for all of two nights. First night the pressure was incorrectly set by the DME provider and resulted in a high, though acceptable, AHI of 4.2. Last night with the correct pressure the AHI much lower at 1.0.
My question is it normal for the PS One 560 to make a wheezing noise during inhalation and exhalation? I am a light sleeper and I’m finding this to be very annoying. Any feedback on the performance characteristics would be most welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560
Mine does that, too. I have a BiPAP so the pressure is higher when I inhale and that's when I hear that noise.

As you relax your breathing rate reduces and this lessens the noise. Also, I have an air filter in the bedroom that produces enough white noise to drown it out. Sometimes I take a nap and forget to turn it on, that's when I notice the noise the most.

Make sure the noise is not coming from the mask.

As you get used to sleeping with the machine these little things become routine and less bothersome. Then you relax more and your breathing is shallower, which reduces the noise. Sort of a feedback system.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepless in PHG and WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response. The sound appears to emanate from the humidifier chamber but its hard to localize. Tested ResMed S8 and Intellipap machines without this bothersome noise. Hopefully as you state the more accumulated to this set-up the less it will hinder my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes, you can place the machine such that the noise is less of a problem. On the floor next to the bed, in a drawer, cut a hole in a box, cut out the other side of the box, sit the machine such that the hose comes through the hole.

Some people also find that setting the machine on a rubber mat helps.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
This noise is at such a low level that I have to concentrate hard just to hear it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know my machine does seem to sound a little louder than it did.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will insulate the machine to lessen the radiated noise and try this for a few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
whatever you do ... make sure the air inlet of the S9 is not blocked
also make sure the area around the S9 is dry and clean free of dust

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2012, 10:13 AM)Sleepless in PHG Wrote: I’ve used my CPAP machine for all of two nights. First night the pressure was incorrectly set by the DME provider and resulted in a high, though acceptable, AHI of 4.2. Last night with the correct pressure the AHI much lower at 1.0.
My question is it normal for the PS One 560 to make a wheezing noise during inhalation and exhalation? I am a light sleeper and I’m finding this to be very annoying. Any feedback on the performance characteristics would be most welcome!

My PS System One 460 does make the wheezing noise during inhalation and exhalation, but it is not lous enough to bother either me or my wife, and I keep my machine uncovered on a nightstand level with and 2 feet away from my head. However, I describe myself as "I sleep the sleep of the dead", which means very very soundly, and let my wife get to sleep before I come to bed most nights, so we are able to tolerate the presence of the machine quite well. I have also found that my headgear and chinstrap help keep my ears warm on cold nights.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 129 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.