Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question from new user
RE: Question from new user
For whatever reason, when I try and sleep on my side, I can't go to sleep so I give up and lay on my back
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 06:10 AM)me50 Wrote: For whatever reason, when I try and sleep on my side, I can't go to sleep so I give up and lay on my back

Training, training, and more training. before I got my machine, I used to sleep on my stomach all the time (how I learned to self-treat my apnea) - I was a serious 'pattern-sleeper'...

So it took me a while to learn to sleep on my side. Since I do wake up on my back every once in a while, I think I am going to add a 'sleep-shirt' and tennis ball to my pattern.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 11:54 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I'd like to reconfirm your leak data please? Are you getting it from the LCD screen only, or from software? Are you seeing a 'smiley' face, or a 'frowny' face in the mornings?

Hi

I am gettig a smiley face and the data is from within the clinical setup in the machine istelf.

thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 11:15 AM)Peter_C Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 06:10 AM)me50 Wrote: For whatever reason, when I try and sleep on my side, I can't go to sleep so I give up and lay on my back

Training, training, and more training. before I got my machine, I used to sleep on my stomach all the time (how I learned to self-treat my apnea) - I was a serious 'pattern-sleeper'...

So it took me a while to learn to sleep on my side. Since I do wake up on my back every once in a while, I think I am going to add a 'sleep-shirt' and tennis ball to my pattern.

my favorite way to sleep is on my side but when I lay on my side, that is all I do; I can lay there for hours and I never go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 11:15 AM)Peter_C Wrote: Since I do wake up on my back every once in a while, I think I am going to add a 'sleep-shirt' and tennis ball to my pattern.

Controlling positional apnea is especially important if using a machine which does not have the Auto feature (if not using an APAP machine) or when the machine is an APAP but the pressure is maxing out (as is the case for jose123).

Also, avoiding high pressures is important for improving patient comfort and lowering leaks. Large leaks can reduce effectiveness of CPAP treatment.

Also, a few patients have reported developing inner ear problems at high pressure, worsening their hearing or causing vertigo or tinnitus.

But if using a machine which automatically adjusts EPAP to avoid obstructive events (like a standard APAP machine does) and if the APAP machine is handling things well, then there may be no need to take special precautions like wearing a tennis ball shirt to make sure we are never sleeping on our back.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 07:04 PM)jose123 Wrote: Hi All

I have this new resmed Autoset 9 machine and i have been monitoring how I have been doing the last few days.I have had this machine since jan 13th and have ironed out most of the variables that were still giving me headaches and keeping me sleepy after using the machine.I am now at a stage where ther are no headches in the morning and do not feel sleepy.
I now use a nasal mask and start pressure at 13 and max at 20 (i cannot seem to make it any higher).I also use a chin strap with H5i humdifer set at 4 and temp of 29 .On checking my data using sleepyhead i have noticed that 95% of the time my pressure is at 20 and have had 5 events of OA.My leak in now at 8.

My question is :

1.Is OA of 5 normal or does it need to be addressed ?
2.Can I increase my pressure on my Resmed S9 Autoset to more then the max of 20 as i think the machine is trying to do more but cannot do it as its already at it max (I think) ?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

jose123

You may require low setting increased (per physician order) to offer increased pressure support. I would set your climateline temperature to 86. Air "too dry" can be inflammatory to upper airway thus adding to obstruction. Hopefully you have F/U with physician to address your pressure concerns.
Post Reply Post Reply
RT/APAP User I think that he has the temperature at 84.2 or thereabout.

jose123 if your AHI is 5 or below, you are fine. The lower the AHI below 5 the better but if it isn't over 5 and your leak rate is 8, you are doing good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RT/APAPuser, welcome to the forum!

Since this thread is about pressure settings, I do have some questions about the tight 4-7 range listed in your profile.

Is 7 cm H2O your prescribed Max Pressure setting?

If yes, is there some reason in your case that your doctor wants to protect against the pressure being higher than 7, such as lung disease?

If you have no special health condition that mandates a low max pressure, how was it determined that your max pressure should be no higher than 7? If this was determined during a single titration study - well, a titration study is only one night and our pressure needs may change quite a bit from one night to the next.

When monitoring your machine's data, you never see the pressure maxed out at 7 and obstructve events occurring that would likely be better treated at a higher pressure?

If you are using EPR, was a ResMed machine used with the same ResMed EPR setting during your overnight titration study?

My concern about using EPR with such a tightly-constrained Max Pressure is that ResMed EPR (unlike Respironics Flex) truly lowers EPAP. (Unlike ResMed EPR, Respironics Flex lowers the pressure based on the rate of exhalation airflow and therefore only lowers EPAP significantly for a short time during the starting portion of our exhalation.)

If your titration study showed you may need EPAP to be as high as 7, using any amount of EPR would prevent the machine from raising EPAP to 7. For example, if EPR is set to 3 then the highest EPAP pressure the machine would ever be able to deliver would be only 4.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 293 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,049 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New User - CO2 Vent Question JohnHornbuckle 5 1,258 04-02-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: JohnHornbuckle
Question [Pressure] New xPAP user - Question about Centrals on OSCAR AeroM 41 3,722 02-21-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: AeroM
  New Resmed user question and recommendations on settings xamax 5 892 09-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New CPAP user here with a question about my elbow sweetnothings 12 1,630 08-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Last Post: sweetnothings
  New user with question Doublereeder2 9 966 06-06-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Doublereeder2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.