Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question from new user
Question from new user
Hi All

I have this new resmed Autoset 9 machine and i have been monitoring how I have been doing the last few days.I have had this machine since jan 13th and have ironed out most of the variables that were still giving me headaches and keeping me sleepy after using the machine.I am now at a stage where ther are no headches in the morning and do not feel sleepy.
I now use a nasal mask and start pressure at 13 and max at 20 (i cannot seem to make it any higher).I also use a chin strap with H5i humdifer set at 4 and temp of 29 .On checking my data using sleepyhead i have noticed that 95% of the time my pressure is at 20 and have had 5 events of OA.My leak in now at 8.

My question is :

1.Is OA of 5 normal or does it need to be addressed ?
2.Can I increase my pressure on my Resmed S9 Autoset to more then the max of 20 as i think the machine is trying to do more but cannot do it as its already at it max (I think) ?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

jose123

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question from new user
Hi jose123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The Resmed S9AutoSet only gose up to 20CMH2O. To get higher pressure than that you would need a more extensive machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 07:10 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi jose123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The Resmed S9AutoSet only gose up to 20CMH2O. To get higher pressure than that you would need a more extensive machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.

Thank you trish
Post Reply Post Reply
To be able to get a max pressure higher than 20 you will need a bi-level machine (either a PR Bi-PAP or a ResMed VPAP).

Are you having 5 OAs per night or 5 per hour? How long do they last?

5 OAs in a night isn't bad, especially if they are of short duration (15 seconds or so). I would be concerned if they were up in the 25 second duration range or above.

5 OAs in an hour is pushing it, but still OK if you aren't having many other events (H) or if they aren't lasting very long.

You probably should talk to your doc about getting a bi-level machine, but you might be able to make do with what you have...headaches and daytime sleepiness gone - you are probably getting adequate therapy for now...

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks jgjones1972 for your reply

Actually My OA is only 5 per night and last for about 5 secs at a time ( So it looks like i dont have to worry about this)..Will see doc and see what he says about the machine.I think this machine should be ok

thanks for you help

Jose123
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 08:03 PM)jose123 Wrote: Thanks jgjones1972 for your reply

Actually My OA is only 5 per night and last for about 5 secs at a time ( So it looks like i dont have to worry about this)..Will see doc and see what he says about the machine.I think this machine should be ok

thanks for you help

Jose123

just curious as to what your median pressure is each night
Post Reply Post Reply
The number of apneas tends to decrease as you first adapt to CPAP therapy. It may be that in the future you'll be able to get away with a pressure lower than 20. For some people the machine will raise the pressure higher than it needs to be. If I were you I'd stop changing the settings for awhile and see what happens.

Keep us posted.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Sleepster said
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd like to reconfirm your leak data please? Are you getting it from the LCD screen only, or from software? Are you seeing a 'smiley' face, or a 'frowny' face in the mornings?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 07:04 PM)jose123 Wrote: I now use a nasal mask and start pressure at 13 and max at 20 (i cannot seem to make it any higher).I also use a chin strap with H5i humdifer set at 4 and temp of 29 .On checking my data using sleepyhead i have noticed that 95% of the time my pressure is at 20 and have had 5 events of OA.My leak in now at 8.

Hi jose123,

Obstructive sleep apnea is usually strongly positional.

When we are sleeping on our back (in the "supine" position) our pressure needs can be much higher than when sleeping on our side.

Perhaps your pressure needs would be much lower if you were to ensure you will never be sleeping on your back.

To ensure that when I roll onto my back I don't remain in that position very long at all, I wear a snug teeshirt to bed with a tennis ball in a pocket sewn high up on the back, between my shoulder blades or a little higher.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 291 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,045 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New User - CO2 Vent Question JohnHornbuckle 5 1,255 04-02-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: JohnHornbuckle
Question [Pressure] New xPAP user - Question about Centrals on OSCAR AeroM 41 3,708 02-21-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: AeroM
  New Resmed user question and recommendations on settings xamax 5 890 09-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New CPAP user here with a question about my elbow sweetnothings 12 1,626 08-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Last Post: sweetnothings
  New user with question Doublereeder2 9 960 06-06-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Doublereeder2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.