Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question of effect of Mask Type selection on ResMed AS10
Question of effect of Mask Type selection on ResMed AS10
Hopefully someone can clarify my confusion on the effect of mask selection between FFM, Pillow or Nasal has on pressure, etc., on any CPAP but on the ResMed Airsense 10 specifically?

I switch between FFM and Pillow often and sometimes forget to change the mask type on my Airsense.  I have not tracked the different stats between selecting correct mask type versus incorrect selection BUT I have seen AHI increase or decrease which leads me to asking here to help me and others understand the differences that that selection affects.

On a similar issue I’ve always selected (when I remember) Pillows when using the Dreamwear with cushion (not protruding into nostrils) but recently read I should have selected Nasal on the CPAP.

Anyone able to help me and others understand the actual effects on the three options (FFM/Nasal/Pillows)?

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question of effect of Mask Type selection on ResMed AS10
I believe from other threads that I’ve read that the selection has to do with leak rate calculations. The different selections determine the intentional leak rate for the mask type so the data reports to you the unintentional leak rate that you are causing either through an improper seal or mouth breathing for example.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2018, 12:39 PM)sonicboom Wrote: I believe from other threads that I’ve read that the selection has to do with leak rate calculations.  The different selections determine the intentional leak rate for the mask type so the data reports to you the unintentional leak rate that you are causing either through an improper seal or mouth breathing for example.

Thank you.  Looked for previous thread where someone had mentioned a difference in pressure from selection different mask types but that didn't sound reasonable.

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP machine, or at least a ResMed tries to estimate mask pressure. They obviously do not have a pressure sensor in the mask, so must be doing it by estimating the pressure drop from where they do measure it in the machine to the mask. I have not looked at it exhaustively by I think if you go into the manuals, which are surprisingly detailed, for each mask there is a pressure drop vs flow curve for the mask. That is not likely to be the same for each mask. All I know from practical experience is that when I tried using a nasal pillow mask with the machine set for a nasal mask, the auto off feature would not trigger. The flow must be reduced to the point where the machine thinks it is a big leak (which SleepyHead reported), but not high enough to shut the machine off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2018, 05:29 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: The CPAP machine, or at least a ResMed tries to estimate mask pressure. They obviously do not have a pressure sensor in the mask, so must be doing it by estimating the pressure drop from where they do measure it in the machine to the mask. I have not looked at it exhaustively by I think if you go into the manuals, which are surprisingly detailed, for each mask there is a pressure drop vs flow curve for the mask. That is not likely to be the same for each mask. All I know from practical experience is that when I tried using a nasal pillow mask with the machine set for a nasal mask, the auto off feature would not trigger. The flow must be reduced to the point where the machine thinks it is a big leak (which SleepyHead reported), but not high enough to shut the machine off.
This with what sonic boom related explains the differences and why I was left wondering - I never use auto start and as you have explained that is where it would make a difference.

Got it

Thank you both
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 17,019 04-18-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,774 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 157 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 202 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 222 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 317 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Best way to use two ResMed AS10's TommySnores 3 228 02-29-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: TommySnores

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.