Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on Centrals
RE: Question on Centrals
You can try EPR 0 but I guess we won't know its effect until tried. I don't think it'll help much. How do you feel with the therapy? Something to be thinking on, as this is a very big part to persuade the doc to get the ASV ball rolling.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't feel good at all, it certainly doesn't feel any better than prior to using the machine. Actually to be exact, on nights that I use the machine I sleep badly and then I take a day or two to recover with naps whenever possible throughout the day where I dont use the machine at all. 
And then I go back to it to experiment with the a changed setting or something as has been suggested here in the forum, and then after need another couple of days without it to recover. So it hasn't been helpful at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy. I am not sure if any more changes will help any.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Give it time - treatment emergent centrals usually disappear on their own in most people. When I got my BiPAP the first night I tried it with a pressure support of 6 my central AHI was ~30 and now its less than 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah but this guy is way low on CA's....no OA's or H's , and doesn't feel well. A good night sleep even with a PAP machine wouldn't help and for all we know there's other issues. I was extremely low on Vitamin D.... and also my testosterone level was a bit low too. I'm not saying these things I lacked of are his issues, possibly Insomnia? , however, maybe it would be something to consider and have checked out. IMHO
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary, I'm going to crawl out on a rather small limb and suggest your results may not be what they seem. Your AHI does not signifcantly change with or without EPR. The events flgged flagged as CA are surrounded by strongly flow-limited breaths and the events are pretty strongly clustered like we see in positional apnea. I think these may not be CA events, but obstructed breathing where your airway is open as you try to breathe, but are in a position where air is not freely moving through your airway. It would be interesting to see if trying positional therapy using a SCC might help. The Soft Cervical Collar wiki linked in my signature includes examples of OSCAR charts showing what it looks like, and also shows a ASV user (central apnea) that cleared up events using this approach. Your events do not present in the usual way for obstructive positional apnea, but I think it may be worth trying a SCC to see if you can solve the problem simply. If you found EPR more comfortable, I don't see where it should not be used based on a comparison of your results with and without.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider. 
I actually use a SCC already; I should have mentioned that.  
And I’ve had the events happen when in different positions also. One of the downsides of the mask that I use is that it makes amplifies the sound of breathing and so there are times that while I’m dozing off and not quite 100% asleep yet..I’ll hear myself stop breathing, that is stop making an effort to breathe. And that has happened in different positions. And I realized that because it was quiet all of a sudden Smile

I have no basis of comparison By the way, since this is the first mask that I use..so others may be louder for that matter or quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
So sorry you're going through this Gary..... you're in my prayers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had forgotten we talked about your Philips Dreamwear before, and since you have already implemented a SCC that kind of shoots that idea down. I think the fact your centrals seem surrounded by flow limited breaths and recovery breathing, still has me thinking this looks more obstructive.  We are looking at some limited data that suggests your CA index does not change a great deal with changes in EPR. Is that consistent with your observation?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=22812]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sleeprider - yes, I've observed that the CA doesn't change much by EPR setting or by pressure for that matter..it consistently happens at any pressure setting that I've tried so far between 5-10.
What does seem consistent though is that when centrals do happen Min Ventilation, Tidal Volume and Insp time are at their lowest. Here are 2 screenshots that capture that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 377 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,783 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 232 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 408 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 689 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,086 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.