Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on Resmed EPR
Question on Resmed EPR
There is quite a substantial thread going on about EPR... very informative and I am learning a LOT just by reading it.  I do not want to interrupt the flow of that conversation there by asking a silly question, hence my posting here.

When I first got my machine, the breathing out through the pillows was very awkward and un-natural.  When I spoke about how difficult it was for me to exhale comfortably to the sleep tech who set up my Resmed, he mentioned that he could turn OFF the EPR function in order to help me exhale better.  At the time, I did not know what "EPR" meant;  I just wanted to breath easier.

In reading that other legthy discussion, I am learning much more about how EPR works, but i am confused a little.... If EPR is supposed to make it more natural to breath using a PAP machine, then why did my sleep tech suggest turning it off for me?  Perhaps I misunderstood him or there is something that I am not fully understanding?

As far as my own personal PAP journey, the biggest factor that made a  huge difference for me was switching from CPAP to AutoPAP after trying the former for about 11 months.  I was waking up more exhausted than I ever have been until switching to AutoPAP.  My sleep, rest and ability to wake up and get out of bed is so much better now,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question on Resmed EPR...?
Plain and simple, I think your sleep tech is wrong.

EPR is expiratory pressure relief - i.e. relief of pressure on expiring i.e. breathing out.

My Sleep Tech advised a EPR of 3 when I noted the same problem. However those were the days of 16.8 cm H2O with a FFM. Pure torture before I was given a climate line heated tube and bought a P10 myself.

Did you have a lot of central apneas? Perhaps he suggested turning it off to resolve that issue. I was advised to here by the wizards and it worked.

Am awake too early as I think I am too excited by the prospect of a new APAP. Interesting to read you saying your therapy improved with it. Mine is not bad as AHI mostly >1 with CPAP. But I would rather not blow so much air into myself if I do not need it.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The professional sleep community considers EPR to be a comfort setting. We use it to either improve your comfort OR improve your efficacy (improve your therapy). Natural breathing is having the same pressure during both inhale and exhale. It is not natural to have different pressures for inhale and exhale. The tech turned it off because you were having problems with it. We recommend trying different EPR settings for you to evaluate which "feels" best for you in most cases.

We frequently recommend both pressure setting changes and/or EPR changes to assist you in bettering your therapy. This is based on reading your daily charts and your personal history.

Does that help?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t recall ever seeing graphs posted.  Are you using #SleepyHead?
What pressure range are you using?

As far as EPR, as stated above, this is a comfort feature to assist you when breathing out. But it can’t really help if your pressure settings are off whack.

If EPR is set too high, this could cause an increase in Clear Airway events if you are prone to that.  
I know you only asked about EPR, but it would be helpful if we could see your charts to better advise you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here you go OpalRose. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-feedback
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Walla.

That graph is from June when S. L. Ping was using straight Cpap setting of 6.6 and no EPR.

Would like to see current graph while using auto range.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I know that I should post a new chart soon, but when I get home from work at night, I am sleeping so much better as of late that I am anxious to his the rack... I am even watching less TV now that I am sleeping better!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,042 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
Question Question on using a Resmed S9 vs a Dreamstation 1 nbdsv96 3 548 06-20-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
Question Question on settings on Resmed S9 nbdsv96 1 450 06-12-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Question: ResMed My Air & SD card rdudley9 2 714 06-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  ResMed BPAP ST-A vs BPAP VAuto - S Mode Only Question cmpman1974 5 607 05-03-2023, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed A10 Series Power Switch Question Crimson Nape 6 632 02-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.