Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on chart info
Question on chart info
I'm on my ipad and don't have SH handy, but is there a way to tell, looking at my SH info, when I'm waking up during the night?  I know I'm still waking up multiple times a night.  Its way better than it was, but I'm still waking up more often than I'd like, and I'm trying to figure out if theres a rhyme or reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question on chart info
Ruth,  Take a look at this arousal at the end of this RERA,  This is the kind of thing you are looking for.

Arousal
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'll post charts tomorrow to see if I'm getting the right idea, though I'm back on my computer again so I can do logo work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post Reply Post Reply
someone suggested spiking a quick large leak to draw your attention to the time in the flow you were awake, if awake enough to do so, by briefly pulling the mask away from your face. that'll get you an approximate frequency but not duration. I'd guess my own many awakenings consist in more or less equal numbers: a) quick rouse-and-turn-overs and b) full awakenings with mask and machine off. the latter is a sure fire way to know when you're fully awake and for how long.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2019, 11:27 AM)sheepless Wrote: someone suggested spiking a quick large leak to draw your attention to the time in the flow you were awake, if awake enough to do so, by briefly pulling the mask away from your face.  that'll get you an approximate frequency but not duration.  I'd guess my own many awakenings consist in more or less equal numbers: a) quick rouse-and-turn-overs and b) full awakenings with mask and machine off.  the latter is a sure fire way to know when you're fully awake and for how long.

Well, to some degree thats already happening, I suspect part of my problem is my mask, and those I can generally spot.  But I'm also waking up enough to roll over and go back to sleep, and I'm trying to see if I can get a handle on.  My AHI is nice and low, and I feel great sleeping with the cpap machine, but I'm still waking up several times a night for no obvious reason.  But its hard to quantify for the doctor to try to help me with, without more data.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to spiking a leak, you can exhale sharply and deeply. That usually shows up pretty clearly on SH.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so I had an interesting discovery.

A large percentage of my wake-ups were corresponding pretty closely with a "pressure pulse" in my charts. Infact, almost all of my wakeups where I end up getting out of bed briefly (to use the bathroom or get a drink) were within a minute or two after a pressure pulse.

And those pressure pulses were all following some rather funky breathing patterns, not all of which are getting flagged as apneas. I'm unsure if the wakeups are the result of the funky breathing, or the result of pressure pulse to fix the funky breathing, but one follows the other.

So, I turned my pressure up a step to 11 (from 10) for the last three nights. Prior to turning up my pressure I was having at least 3 pressure pulses a night, and often upwards of 10 or more. In the three nights since I turned up my pressure I've had exactly 1 pressure pulse, and THAT was at almost the exact same time as my alarm clock would have gone off so I'm thinking I jumped when my alarm went off that morning. In addition, since stepping up my pressure I've had fewer wake ups in the middle of the night. Plus I'm not seeing any of that funky breathing issue in those three nights' data.

Now, 3 nights isn't absolute proof that I fixed the problem, but it appears to be a step in the right direction at least!

(additional interesting note, I'm also getting fewer wake ups due to a tickle in my nose. Now I'm wondering if that tickle was a response to a pressure pulse.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Wonderful news!  Thanks for sharing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2019, 07:04 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Wonderful news!  Thanks for sharing it.

The exhale trick works pretty well for me btw, so thank you.  I don't ALWAYS remember to do it, but it helped pinpoint alot of my wakeups.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 238 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 98 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  New User Please Help with my chart apapnoob 11 507 02-04-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: apapnoob
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 262 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Japanese sleep test vs. Lofta/WatchPAT discrepancy + flow chart morphology analysis? woodenwaterbottle 3 4,418 01-24-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 696 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.