Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on hypopneas
Question on hypopneas
First I’m new member and new to using a cpap. I just got my equipment 4days ago. I had a sleep study last month and they said I had 19 events in one hour. The dr set me up with an auto mhypopneasachine along with modem for remote setting changes if needed since it is a hassle for me to get back and forth do to can do drive because of blindness. 

Ok on to the point. He told me I could try the nose mask first if I wanted to. Thankfully there is a nice DME right on the hospital property so he got things rolling for me there. I’ve been using the thing the last 4 nights and I will say I do feel more rested. What bothers me is I’m seeing several hypopneas events logged 9 last night. Could some of that be my mouth is letting air out and the unit sees it as shallow breathing and I need to change to a full face mask?

Sorry for long winded and sorry for any typos autocorrect don’t always work for me and my vision.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question on hypopneas
Glad to have you on the forum Robert.
Some one will be along shortly to answer your question.
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Robert

Welcome to the forum. The best way to obtain appropriate help is for you to download sleepyhead and upload some data.

If it is difficult for you to do that, could you enlist some help? It is only through analysing the data you will obtain from your SD card through Sleepyhead that the experienced here can help.

My signature has tips on how to do that and more detailed information can be obtained from the wiki.

Look forward to reading from you again.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it would be helpful to see your Sleepyhead charts posted here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I would but sleepyhead requires a computer. I’m mainly an iPhone or iPad user do to the  accessibility that are built into them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2018, 01:36 PM)Robert121571 Wrote: Could some of that be my mouth is letting air out and the unit sees it as shallow breathing and I need to change to a full face mask?

If your machine reports the leak rate, you could check that and post the numbers that you get from one night to another along with the event counts, and ask for advice.

For whatever it's worth from a fellow non-user of CPAP analysis software: A lot of new CPAP patients get accustomed to nasal masks OK and learn, one way or another, to keep the mouth closed while sleeping. It becomes instinctive, but that might take a week or two. Some things about this experience are learned only by trial and error over the first few months.

There are also chin straps; you could try one of those if mouth-breathing is in fact a problem and if it persists.
Post Reply Post Reply
Discussions about mouth-breathing, possibly useful:

Training yourself to stop mouth breathing?

and

Does your brain learn not to mouth breathe?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use nasal pillows but also wear a chin strap. Without this I would have almost no benefit from the CPAP treatment as my mouth relaxes open when in deep sleep.  Air in the nose, directly out the least resistant pathway, i.e., my mouth...
The other trick is to use a nasal pillow system that has an air bleeder need the pillows.  I have tried a Resmed Airfit but it doesn't include the bleeder, like the Swift FX mask.  
I have also tried nose masks but find they get dislodged in my sleep, creating more opportunities for hupopneas.  If you like to sleep on your side, I find nasal pillow systems are more appropriate.

None of this is cheap either.  It's a bit of a seller's market.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do sleep on my side. To my knowledge my system not reporting leaked mask fit has returned 100% each night. My fife says I’m not really moving once I go asleep now and I wake up on the side I went to sleep. It could just be the way I am. I may check with the DME and see if they can pull the data and see what they think. They were real nice in helping me with the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd try to buy a cheap computer to use. Your going to be using the machine long term so it would be a wise investment. The ability to monitor your detailed data is very important to ensure your getting the proper care.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 172 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 455 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 522 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 893 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,033 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.