Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on masks that will handle higher pressures like 27
RE: Question on masks that will handle higher pressures like 27
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have provided me with lots of good ideas. I am getting various masks, mostly via Amazon because they are way cheaper than anyone else I can find.
Thanks, again for all the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2016, 01:09 PM)HairyReasoner Wrote: My pressure is only 17, but I find leaks difficult with some masks even at that pressure. Currently, I'm going back and forth between the Airfit F10 and Amara View full face masks. The View seems to seal better (once you've played around with it a bit to get a good seal), but I've noticed my AHI seems to average a bit higher with it (in the 2 range, so still not bad). The Airfit seems to seal fairly well as long as the cushion isn't too old.

My recommendation is like one of the other posters. Wash your face to remove oils before going to bed. This not only helps seal better, but increases the longevity of the cushion since your skin's oils aren't breaking it down.

Secondly, higher pressures require frequent cushion replacement. I find I need a new one at least every 30 days or I get leaks. Forget about trying to get extra life out of them. I even sometimes buy one before that (which is painful because insurance won't cover it).

And, despite what your DME says, the cushion can't just "float on your face" when you're at a higher pressure. You've got to tie it down.

My pressure is up around 20 and I need new cushions sometime in the 3-6 month time frame. I also no longer wash my face just before going to bed. I do not know about skin's oils breaking down but I do know that flexible plastics are flexible because they have a plasticizer added to them. That plasticizer evaporates over time and maybe from washing with soap . I have found that cleaning my cushions occasionally with Pampers baby wipes (as suggested by another member) keeps the silicone in good shape very nicely and also gives it a slight tackiness which helps to keep the seal from blowing out as easily.

I agree with your last statement and it is something that I have tried to stress for some time. "Floating" is nice and may work well at lower pressures but at higher pressures with full face masks you need to maintain enough tension in the headgear to keep the mask from moving away from your face and leaking. At higher pressures that means a fair amount more tension.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My top pressure setting is 26, so I'm in a similar range. I got a new mask about a month ago, the Respironics Airfit N10 nasal mask. I have no leak problems, even at top pressure, and I don't get "blow-out".

I make significant adjustments to the headgear that I think help with preventing leaks at high pressures. I cut it apart so that I end up with two straps that are not connected to each other. I attach the shorter strap to the top opening on the mask, and the longer strap to the magnet clips. Both straps go across the back of my head, which keeps the mask very secure.

Good luck finding the right mask for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for taking the time to give me some ideas. I have tried about 5 or 6 different masks and, so far, the Amara View is doing the best. I think that because it is smaller, it is less effected by the higher pressures. I have gotten my AHI down to less than 1 from the 27 plus I started with by methodically experimenting with various machine settings (with the blessings of my doctor).
Thanks again and best wishes to you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 351 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,437 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,734 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 382 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 541 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.