Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on readings in ResScan
Question on readings in ResScan
Hello

Brand new member - diagnosed last month and received my machine just yesterday. Actually slept pretty well with it last night. Being the geek that I am, I could not wait to look at the data collected by the CPAP.

I have done a lot of reading and understand most of what I am seeing in the ResScan software, but I am a bit confused by one thing. My stats show almost all of my apnea events as central apnea - and I was expecting to see obstructive events.

AHI=4.6, Central events account for 3.5 of this. Is this typical?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question on readings in ResScan
(07-11-2012, 02:56 PM)adamkyr Wrote: Hello

Brand new member - diagnosed last month and received my machine just yesterday. Actually slept pretty well with it last night.
Congrats - its a good start
The machine does a good job in distinguishing between types of apnea events but cannot tell if you,re awake or asleep, it just flag events as it see them. Apnea has to occur while you,re asleep to be counted.
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2012, 03:21 PM)zonk Wrote: The machine does a good job in distinguishing between types of apnea events but cannot tell if you,re awake or asleep, it just flag events as it see them. Apnea has to occur while you,re asleep to be counted.
Welcome

Thanks

I guess my major confusion is over the OSA events vs the CSA events. I will have to gather more than 1 days worth of data and see what that shows me.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2012, 04:11 PM)adamkyr Wrote: I will have to gather more than 1 days worth of data and see what that shows me.
Agree. its the trend that matter over a period of time. It takes a while to settle down just like driving a new car have to drive for a while to feel how it drive and how it respond to different road conditions

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi adamkyr, First of all, Welcome! to the forum.! It's great that you slept well the first night. I can't really help you with the data question, but I would give it a few days to collect so you can compare what goes on from day to day. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Adam to ApneaBoard and to the world of CPAP.

In our new struggles to cope with the newly dianosed malady, it is quite easy to become overwhelmed or confused. Time will sort it all out for you. Give Thanks that you have been dianosed and given a type of therapy that is considered the primary gold standard for sleep apnea and that is of course, the CPAP machine. Many people go forward thru life struggling un-beknowns to them with apnea. You have the right idea for starters and that is give it some time. Rome wasn't built in a day! Stay with us often on this board and you will become a pro at CPAP therapy very quickly. There is a lot to learn and you will have a lot to contibute after a time of useage, which I hope you will.

Some people just produce a lot of centrals vs obstructive apneas. If you arn't getting many obstructive apneas, then the therapy is working and the pressure is probably just about right. The total AHI count should be below 5 AHI for acceptable therapy. Striving for a 0 AHI is everyones goal, but usually unobtainable except for a few. I wouldn't worry at this early in the game as to the count of OA or CA . It is going to take a bit of time to adjust to this foreign object stuck to your face. Compliance is the theme right now. Getting to feel better and rested will come with the compliance.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, adamkyr! I'm wondering if you were given any clue about the results of your initial diagnosis (sleep study?) from the doc regarding if you were found to have OSA, CSA or a mix of both? If you were told that you have OSA only, it may mean that either the initial study was not accurate or possibly that you were awake during your first data collection session with your new machine, as zonk indicated. I agree with others about the need for you to collect more samples of your sleep data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to everybody for all the warm welcomes!

From what I understood, the initial sleep study showed OSA with an AHI of 56. There had been no mention of CSA, which is why I am confused. I am sure that some of the incidents reported by the machine were while I was awake. I will definitely try not to be so impatient and to leave the SD card in for a longer period of time. I would guess that the data will make a bit more sense.

Thank you all

Adam
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed that if I take a long time to fall asleep, my AHI is skewed upward. Any apnea event that occurs while awake during a sleep study is disregarded, but a CPAP machine is incapable of discarding this data.

It's also possible that your doctor noticed a few centrals during your sleep study, but felt that they were few in number and therefore insignificant. 3.5 is a small fraction (6%) of 56.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,196 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  [Diagnosis] Request observations on readings/Leaks Bob Cali 11 1,090 07-29-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Bob Cali
  Help with Wellvue O2 ring readings joseph421 1 643 05-06-2023, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Apnope

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.