Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on time needed to notice sleep difference
Question on time needed to notice sleep difference

Hello Everyone!

I was just "diagnosed" with Sleep Apnea. And I am wondering your experiences with the time it took to notice a difference after using a CPAP Machine?

The people I have spoken to all say, "I noticed the difference the first night." For me, nothing has changed. If I don't use the machine or use the machine, I experience the same thing. I think I am getting smoke blown...
As they were strapping me down for the sleep study, I TOLD them, "You might as well save the time. If I sleep on my back, I have problems. I sleep on my stomach." Can you suffer from SA if you sleep on your stomach? I would love to be able to sleep on my stomach while using the machine and have my events go down to 0.

How much do new machines generally cost? I have the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset and I saw online it was $900. Is that the final cost delivered to your home? Or is it some other price, like a "rental charge" ?

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question on time needed to notice sleep difference
Welcome aboard, Needs2Sleep

There are NOT many people notice a difference the first night, for most of us might take few weeks, few months, or even longer. It does not matter how long take, using CPAP will boost your general health and oxygen level, not getting enough oxygen during sleep is a dangerous thing

It take a while to get the results after years of sleep deprivation, time to heal and to get used to sleeping with mask strapped on our faces but in time, becomes so natural and cannot sleep without it

Getting the right mask is number priority, good mask fit is essential for effective treatment
Every now and then, I might get zero AHI but the aim is 5 events per hour or less and unintentional leak rate below 24 L/m (ResMed machine only)

We might score more obstructive apnea events on our backs or in REM sleep but basically obstructive apnea/hypopnea is to do with collapse/narrowed airways and snoring, flow limitation to some degree
Here ResMed video presentation explain waht goes on during sleep
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._%28SDB%29

As for buy machine on-line, the price does not include rental charge but include delivery to US address.
Normally there is a shipping charge outside US and not all of them ship ResMed outside US

Post Reply Post Reply
How long it may be from here to eternity. Everyone is different. Cost varies, your always buying supplies, masks, filters, distilled water, new hoses, new machine ect
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone that replied. The reason I ask about the cost of the machine is I am curious if the cost on the website is to rent it for a certain period of time, or if I downright own it. If I own it at that price of $900, but the "rental" price is $180 + $20 Co-pay for 13 months. Something is rotten in Denmark. Smile

It might be the severity of the Apnea, that the people I asked, noticed an life improvement the first night -- not as severe. My problem is I do not think it is sleep apnea. I wake up every 2 hours, after I dream. Wide awake for 1-3 hours, etc.

And yes, I am aware that I have to buy supplies, filters, etc. Just shouldn't have to buy the machine anymore. I actually like my mask, it doesn't bother me at all. I fall asleep with no trouble. I just dislike sleeping on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2014, 06:53 PM)Needs2Sleep Wrote: Something is rotten in Denmark. Smile
Don't you get the machine free in Denmark?
I recall a member from Norway told us its covered by the health system and maybe in Sweden too

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh sorry. "Something is rotten..." used to mean that something doesn't seem legit -- "Fishy"

I live in Florida.

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thanks. I'm not conversant with Shakespeare quotes
Learn something new everyday
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2014, 02:31 PM)Needs2Sleep Wrote: Hello Everyone!

I was just "diagnosed" with Sleep Apnea. And I am wondering your experiences with the time it took to notice a difference after using a CPAP Machine?

The people I have spoken to all say, "I noticed the difference the first night." For me, nothing has changed. If I don't use the machine or use the machine, I experience the same thing. I think I am getting smoke blown...
As they were strapping me down for the sleep study, I TOLD them, "You might as well save the time. If I sleep on my back, I have problems. I sleep on my stomach." Can you suffer from SA if you sleep on your stomach? I would love to be able to sleep on my stomach while using the machine and have my events go down to 0.

How much do new machines generally cost? I have the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset and I saw online it was $900. Is that the final cost delivered to your home? Or is it some other price, like a "rental charge" ?

Thank you

I can understand your frustration and skepticism.

It took me 6 MONTHS to get a full night's sleep with a mask on and not have ripped it off my face during the night and gone back to sleep.

With modern Cpaps and masks you'll do better than I did but to start feeling refreshed and not sleepy WILL take a while since you are currently pretty bad.

Feeling a difference is a gradual thing, with me my focus was just to keep the mask on rather than look for results but every extra hour I had the mask on made a difference the next day
Post Reply Post Reply
If everyone told you that it was "1st night" or "right away" you had a terribly skewed sample.

Some people do get that response but they are the vast minority (maybe 20% at best and likely far lower).

Some people like me will never see much difference -- I am the odd guy that has (very) severe sleep apnea and did NOT FEEL BAD prior to CPAP so there is no way that my sleep will improve very much.

I love sleeping with my CPAP (P10 mask) but it has almost nothing to do with how I feel the NEXT day.

Don't hold yourself to anyone ElSE'S schedule or standards.

While it is a cliche that "everyone is different" it's a cliche for a very good reason: It is true.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone, again for your help, feedback, and encouragement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,524 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,239 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 618 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.