Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question [re: PR Algorithm]
Question [re: PR Algorithm]
Is the Algorithm used by PR in DreamStation the same old one they used in Respironics System One REM Star auto machine or is it new or modified in some way?    Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question
I don't think PR has published any details on the specific algorithms used per product line, but I'd be surprised if there was a substantial change. Most of what we know comes from their patents.

Are you feeling a difference?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question [re: PR Algorithm]
I think it's been mentioned somewhere here within the forum that the Respironics algorithm has been basically unaltered for at least 3 generations going from DreamStation and backwards.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No......Just unhappiness and a multiplicity of questions regarding DreamStation from too much of a "Black box" provided by PR.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder how much of DreamMapper\OSCAR results today, come from the "new" device=Dream Station.......and how much from the "old"? algorithm. It could use some improvement.
Guess it will remain a secret.
Yet PR is collecting a huge amount of data from DreamStation to do what with it? They must be aware that by now enough bench and clinical data has been collected showing ResMed AirCurve 10 provides the patient with a better device than DS?.Prescribers should be gravitating toward using it more than DS.
How much does it really cost to download a software algorithm update?

Lastly,the VS2 snoring score has been a continuing conondrum. It must be important, but doing what?
Your hypothesis that the PR algorithm has not changed since first introduced makes me think that this could be very important in controlling the device's pressure response. When it was first conceived. "Snoring", was almost synonymous with sleep apnea. (Hoping you are old enough to remember the late 80's). Today significant number of OSA patients skip this initial sign on the road to upper airway obstruction. So that would make it an algorithm in need of improvement.
Thanks for listening to me..I really owe OSCAR\SleepyHead sofware a big thank for helping me a lot in decreasing my EDS and brain fog.
Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2021, 06:25 PM)SleepyHenry Wrote: How much does it really cost to download a software algorithm update?
When it was first conceived. "Snoring", was almost synonymous with sleep apnea. (Hoping you are old enough to remember the late 80's). Today significant number of OSA patients skip this initial sign on the road to upper airway obstruction. So that would make it an algorithm in need of improvement.

On the first point, there's a huge amount of regulatory burden in making changes like that, with clinical trials required, etc. So it is fairly expensive.

On the second, the machines do look at a lot of different things. Snoring, when it happens, does indicate the beginnings of (possibly mild) airway collapse, so the machines do look for that kind of noise in the airflow. But the bigger thing they monitor is overall airflow, e.g. tidal volume, minute ventilation, airway resistance, etc.. The formal definitions of apnea and hypopnea are related to that, so it makes sense that's what they'd focus on.

For straight CPAP, the main algorithmic difference is in Flex vs. EPR. For auto CPAP the differences are more extensive.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed CRC algorithm? wayward 4 1,291 09-14-2019, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.