Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question re the Info numbers on machine
RE: Question re the Info numbers on machine
Hi apibrgr
You need the clinical manual for the information and definitions of the terms, the manual available via email but you need to ask for it
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

As for your questions about turning off the machine when getting up during the night ... yes turn it off but why are you waking up several times? There is link between sleep apnea and nocturia. Since being on PAP, I get up once to pee, some nights none

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk. Thanx for the info. I get up a few times during the night to pee. I have a water bottle next to my bed & take sips several times during the night. I think my mouth gets dry because I have a ceiling fan on overhead.
Anyways, what is nocturia? I've never heard the term.
Post Reply Post Reply
apibrgr, did you get anywhere with the Sleepyhead software and the simcard?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 10:01 PM)apibrgr Wrote: Hi Zonk. Thanx for the info. I get up a few times during the night to pee. I have a water bottle next to my bed & take sips several times during the night. I think my mouth gets dry because I have a ceiling fan on overhead.

nocturia is where someone wakes up during the night or when they are sleeping to pee
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 10:36 PM)Tez62 Wrote: apibrgr, did you get anywhere with the Sleepyhead software and the simcard?

Not yet. I downloaded, but then thought about the fact that it could delete the info on the card. I think I'll wait til I see my doc next week to make sure I don't mess things up. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 10:47 PM)me50 Wrote:
(11-17-2013, 10:01 PM)apibrgr Wrote: Hi Zonk. Thanx for the info. I get up a few times during the night to pee. I have a water bottle next to my bed & take sips several times during the night. I think my mouth gets dry because I have a ceiling fan on overhead.

nocturia is where someone wakes up during the night or when they are sleeping to pee
so, then, what do you mean that there is a link to apnea and nocturia?
I'm thinking I get up in the night to pee because I get thirsty during the night, sip water, then later need to pee. I drink a lot of water all day, too.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 11:09 PM)apibrgr Wrote:
(11-17-2013, 10:47 PM)me50 Wrote:

so, then, what do you mean that there is a link to apnea and nocturia?
I'm thinking I get up in the night to pee because I get thirsty during the night, sip water, then later need to pee. I drink a lot of water all day, too.

you can google nocturia and there are some links that will talk about nocturia and apnea. hope this helps you
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 11:09 PM)apibrgr Wrote: so, then, what do you mean that there is a link to apnea and nocturia?
Hi apibrgr
Just did forum search and here what find out (there are more):

Nocturia explained by Dr Barry Krakow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8DZAHqNj9M

Too Many Bathroom Trips At Night? See A Sleep Doctor First
Steven Park MD
There have been numerous studies that show that a major reason why people go to the bathroom to urinate frequently are doing so not because of irritable bladders or enlarged prostates, but due to an underlying sleep-breathing problem. Here’s another study that showed that about 58% of men with nocturia had obstructive sleep apnea. When treated for sleep apnea, nocturia can be significantly improved, if not completely cured in many cases. Prescription medication for this problem can’t even come close to these results.

Another recent study showed that going to the bathroom 2 or more times per night increased the mortality rate by 50% in men and 30% in women.

It’s been shown in numerous studies that the reason why you wake up is not because your bladder is too full—it’s because you’ve stopped breathing and you think your bladder is full, but it’s not. Here’s what happens: Every time you stop breathing, blood flow to the heart diminishes, but once you start breathing again, blood rushes back in your heart which dilates the heart chambers, making your heart think that you’re fluid overloaded. The heart then makes a hormone called atrial natriuretic hormone (or peptide), which makes your kidneys make more urine. At a certain point, with even a small amount of urine, you’ll feel like you have to go but only after you’ve woken up after an apnea event. Notice too, that urine volumes are typically not that large.

The thing that get me upset about all this is that despite all that we know about urinary frequency and its’ connection to obstructive sleep apnea, PCPs and urologists haven’t changed their ways at all. They continue to place patients on medications that help to relax the bladder, shrink the prostate, or even do surgery, which is like placing a band-aid. Treating with medications may help people go to the bathroom less often, but it won’t prevent cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Treating an underlying sleep-breathing problem will not only treat nocturia effectively, it’ll also significantly lower your chances of dying.

I’m not saying that all cases of nocturia is from sleep apnea but since it’s so common, why not rule it out before looking at the more traditional options that require medications? (The same argument can be made for ADHD, depression, anxiety, heart disease, diabetes, etc.) If you have sleep apnea, treat that first, and if you still have symptoms, get checked by a urologist. What do you think about this idea

Sleep Apnea and Heart Failure
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t=nocturia
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 11:49 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-17-2013, 11:09 PM)apibrgr Wrote: so, then, what do you mean that there is a link to apnea and nocturia?
Hi apibrgr
Just did forum search and here what find out (there are more):

Nocturia explained by Dr Barry Krakow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8DZAHqNj9M

Too Many Bathroom Trips At Night? See A Sleep Doctor First
Steven Park MD
There have been numerous studies that show that a major reason why people go to the bathroom to urinate frequently are doing so not because of irritable bladders or enlarged prostates, but due to an underlying sleep-breathing problem. Here’s another study that showed that about 58% of men with nocturia had obstructive sleep apnea. When treated for sleep apnea, nocturia can be significantly improved, if not completely cured in many cases. Prescription medication for this problem can’t even come close to these results.

Another recent study showed that going to the bathroom 2 or more times per night increased the mortality rate by 50% in men and 30% in women.

It’s been shown in numerous studies that the reason why you wake up is not because your bladder is too full—it’s because you’ve stopped breathing and you think your bladder is full, but it’s not. Here’s what happens: Every time you stop breathing, blood flow to the heart diminishes, but once you start breathing again, blood rushes back in your heart which dilates the heart chambers, making your heart think that you’re fluid overloaded. The heart then makes a hormone called atrial natriuretic hormone (or peptide), which makes your kidneys make more urine. At a certain point, with even a small amount of urine, you’ll feel like you have to go but only after you’ve woken up after an apnea event. Notice too, that urine volumes are typically not that large.

The thing that get me upset about all this is that despite all that we know about urinary frequency and its’ connection to obstructive sleep apnea, PCPs and urologists haven’t changed their ways at all. They continue to place patients on medications that help to relax the bladder, shrink the prostate, or even do surgery, which is like placing a band-aid. Treating with medications may help people go to the bathroom less often, but it won’t prevent cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Treating an underlying sleep-breathing problem will not only treat nocturia effectively, it’ll also significantly lower your chances of dying.

I’m not saying that all cases of nocturia is from sleep apnea but since it’s so common, why not rule it out before looking at the more traditional options that require medications? (The same argument can be made for ADHD, depression, anxiety, heart disease, diabetes, etc.) If you have sleep apnea, treat that first, and if you still have symptoms, get checked by a urologist. What do you think about this idea

Sleep Apnea and Heart Failure
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t=nocturia

WOW! so, the Mild Sleep Apnea that I have is causing me to need to urinate, and it is not due to the intake of water that I am drinking?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2013, 12:15 AM)apibrgr Wrote: WOW! so, the Mild Sleep Apnea that I have is causing me to need to urinate, and it is not due to the intake of water that I am drinking?
check it out with your GP. There are other causes too, diabetic one of them
The doctor might order some test and referral to urologist

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 117 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 261 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 604 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 694 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.