Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question that i dont know if anyone can help
Question that i dont know if anyone can help
So all has been going very well- I had my 30 day check up, where I brought my cpap and all was good-my numbers were all good- great in fact-
so I did mention to her that the only issue I had was that I felt like I wasn't getting enough air at the beginning, so I turned the ramp down to zero-
So she said great and she then adjusted something so that I get a bigger push of air-she said I would like it-
I don't know what she did- but I do not like it- I could not even wear the mask last night-
It felt like a ton of air pushing down my throat- so much that when I took the mask off, I still couldn't talk right-,it felt like my throat was wide open--
Can anyone understand what the heck happened and what she did and how can I fix it

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question that i dont know if anyone can help
You may need to access your clinical settings and review them. Alternatively post the sleepyhead data so we can see the settings. Most likely your minimum pressure setting was increased.

Do you have the clinical manual for your machine? Request it here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hmm, I don't use sleepy head software--
I will have to look for the manual-
I just don't get why, if everything was great, she messed with my settings lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Chances are, the minimum pressure setting was set closer to your theraputic setting. It may have been as low as 4.0 cm which is the default where your ramp begins.

Let's do this in the meantime so you can get back on the machine. Go back in and turn ramp back on, but limit it to just a minute or two. That will ease the pressure on, rather than blasting you all at once. Many of us learn to tolerate the instant on pressure, but it can be a shock for someone just starting out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 10:58 AM)cookie810 Wrote: hmm, I don't use sleepy head software--
I will have to look for the manual-
I just don't get why, if everything was great, she messed with my settings lol

I agree that she probably did increase your pressure but I can't say that for sure. Most DME's say they cannot change your pressure without a script from your doctor.

To really find out what happened, you can download SLEEPYHEAD which is no cost to you and it will show what your settings were and what they are now. OR you can call and ask what changes she made when you were in for your 30 day appointment.

Using the software will help you see how your therapy is doing and see if you need to make changes, are having high leaks and if those leaks are associated with an event, etc. etc. There is a lot that you can get from SLEEPYHEAD.

You may have to get ResScan since I am not sure if SLEEPYHEAD works with your machine. I am sure someone else can help you on that issue.

I highly recommend that you use some software to watch how things are going, especially in the beginning of your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
It will feel like starting all over again- I will try that- but right now my ramp is set for 5 min- that is what it was last night- and I was choking on air- that cant be good- I will have to sleep without it till Monday, so then they can fix what they did-
It was all so good-why oh why did she touch it-argh
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 10:58 AM)cookie810 Wrote: I just don't get why, if everything was great, she messed with my settings lol

Because that's what they do. If you have been tracking with software, you would be able to know what change was made. Likely it was a pressure setting.

Many people in these jobs are unskilled and untrained. About 50% failed at a job that required them asking, "Would you like fries with that?" /sarc
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
the airres website gives me all the basic info I need- I know there is a sd card in my machine but I am not that savvy
when I had my check up yesterday, she said for the month, I used it every night, there were no leaks, my episodes averaged about 1.3 per night- so everything was good
Post Reply Post Reply
Now all they have to ask is "do you have your insurance card?"
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 11:25 AM)cookie810 Wrote: the airres website gives me all the basic info I need- I know there is a sd card in my machine but I am not that savvy

Well, obviously it doesn't tell you what you need, since you don't know what changed in your settings.

SleepyHead will tell you what your pressure settings are. If she didn't erase your SD card when she worked on the machine, it will still tell you what changed.

Lock your SD card before you put it into the computer and unlock it before you put it back into the machine, and you can't do any harm. I think the A10 CPAP machines aren't as picky about the SD card as the S9 machines were anyway.

Get the "testing" version of SleepyHead for your A10 machine. It's at

http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH/index.html?TestingVersions

If you can't figure out whether you need the 64 bit version or 32 bit, the 32 bit version will probably work for you.

She may have turned off EPR. You can probably turn that back up without going into the clinician's menu. EPR reduces the pressure on exhale.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] my results dont mirror others dward1972 9 1,030 04-02-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is it normal that CPAPs dont register smaller leaks? vrapche031 4 1,433 06-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Last Post: vrapche031
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,422 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  I just got my sleep results back and I dont have Sleep Apnea??? Navi 6 2,551 06-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Last Post: MikeV99
  Cant do it and I dont know what to do That Guy 11 4,147 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  i still dont understand how the leaks data is interpreted Louise 10 5,592 08-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question I dont know what mask I want LolaBelle 13 5,237 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Last Post: LolaBelle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.