Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question using PayPal to buy cpap from craigslist
Question using PayPal to buy cpap from craigslist
I am looking into getting a good deal on craiglist using paypal. I understand there is protection if it turns out that the product is not sent. Any specail steps I need to take to insure everything will be ok. They did mention they would ship for $10.

I will say so far the ad itself looks ok, I left a message on voice mail and the womans voice sounds ok and I did a search with the phone number through whitepages, found the address and went to google maps. The home is big and beautiful in a high class area. This part has me feeling pretty good so far.

Have not talked with them yet and just want to have all my ducks in a row.

Any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question using PayPal to buy cpap from craigslist
I have done a couple Craigslist transactions. I prefer to conduct them in person, and failing that get a friend or acquaintance to check it out. Paypal offers some protection, and they can get back funds from attached credit cards or account balances. I would insist on a shipping tracking number and insurance. Use the goods and services payment option, and the seller can create a shipping label on Paypal. That gives immediate tracking information to both of you. Do not send the money as a gift, donation or personal.

CPAP machines do not seem to be a big source of fraud, but have a conversation that leaves you comfortable that you will get something shipped. Don't be afraid to ask if the seller was the user of the machine, if anyone smokes in the house, and you can even ask them to turn on the machine and go through the setup procedure to get the actual blower hours (get a CPAP setup manual for this model and learn how to get into the menu http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual If they will do this, you can tell they actually have the machine in front of them and it works. That's pretty hard to fake. They may not be able to do everything you ask, but it will tell you a lot about the seller. Or, you could ask them to snap a picture of the machine and send it to you by personal message. That means they are sharing their phone number and showing you a machine in their home. That's not bad verifiation, and you may be able use photo meta data to verify when and where the picture was taken.

Good luck! Where is the machine if you don't mind?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In North Carolina.

I was going to ask them to check the hours. They did say it was low hours and in excellent condition. It's an S9 Autoset. It looks like to get to the hours you press the "i" tab in the upper right corner of the display and then I assume you might have to scroll to the service page using the dial. I assume the numbers I need to know are called Run Hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't assume. I think to get machine hours you have to be in clinician mode. Press control knob and home button at the same time, then go to the information screen. Get the manual.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the manual. It appears that what I said is what needs to be done. It's a little confusing as it seems some of the info is not there but would be obvious if it was in front of you and tried it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just checked looks like you're right. Touch the setup button (with two little checkmarks) and the dial for 3 seconds. Then touch "i". After that the way it looks if it doesn't show up on the first screen I guess you would scroll using the dial. At least that's all i can figure out from it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you've got it. Maybe someone with a S9 can confirm where Machine hours are found.

Even if you don't get that far, you still have valuable information as you will hear the machine being manipulated. I think you're in good shape to discuss it and pick up if the deal is real or not, and that's really the point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed S9 setup mode instructions:

http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

How to find Machine hours-- thread for S9 machines:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-ResMed-S9

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually one need not enter clinician mode. Press i. Then rotate knob 2 clicks. Run hours at top of list.
Rotate knob back 2 clicks; then push i to back out.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody! What a great site and what great people here!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 291 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 659 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,187 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.