Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions ALREADY!
Brick 
Questions ALREADY!
Hello Everyone!

I'm a newbie (only 10 days with my equipment), but I'm really glad to have found this site! Without it I would probably be clueless for my problems and any solutions. The ResMed site, "my air" doesn't work consistently for me, and I have found it to be unrealistically "cheerful" and underwhelming, anyway.

I'm certain that I will appreciate SleepyHead, but at the moment I would just like to understand what I'm seeing on my ResMed AIrSense 10 Autoset, first. I "jail broke" the machine as soon as I could, because experimenting is the name of the game at this point – and it's hard to form conclusions without any data! Just a day or two ago I also got more information by de-selecting Essentials within the clinical menu and changing its report to daily.

So, just 2 questions at this point: Is there already a page on this site that I can navigate to which explains the new data I have revealed? i.e. Is the Pressure number shown in the more detailed "non-essentials" an average of my readings for the entire time I was in bed? The high I reached? Where I should stay to have fewer events? Etc.

Then 2) will Sleepyhead reveal the amount of time I spent in different sleep stages including REM sleep? I hope so because I think my AVERAGE of events is showing quite low. In my sleep study I showed, like, 38.2 events during only 154 total minutes of sleep, but my average AHI is only a deceptively mild 11.7.

I fear I'm getting false smile-y faces!!

Sorry to go on so long, but I feel like I've just come in from "no man's land"! THANK YOU
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions ALREADY!
Pressure and leak numbers shown on the sleep report is the 95th percentile number, been at or below that number for 95% of last night* (if period "1 Day" is selected). Smiley faces, one indicate that the humidifier is working and the other indicate that leak is within acceptable range, leak is less than 24 L/m for 70% of the time
[* last night = CPAP 24 hours day begins from midday to midday the following day], after midday a new CPAP day begins ...
AHI 5 or under considered well treated while on treatment, but not uncommon to have AHI below 2 or 1, even zero on some occasions

SleepyHead or ResScan can only tell us, what data is written on the card and what data the machine write the card. For now, sleep stages is not reported, maybe something manufacturers need to think about on the next upcoming machines

Scroll down to glossary for some explanations of the terms http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Without EEG and eye movement data, combined with trained analysis, it is hard to know whether or not you are even sleeping or are actually in REM sleep. Some on this forum have noted when REM sleep is likely to take place and believe an irregular flow rate is suggestive of REM sleep occurring. (REM sleep tends to occur in periods of 20-40 minutes each, 4 or 5 times each night of longer duration sleep). But it is guesswork.

Some external sleep apps purport to show sleep stages and the occurrence of REM sleep, but few are validated by controlled studies so it is essentially an algorithmic guessing game for marketing purposes.

Perhaps some of the poly-sleep-techs can provide more definitive information.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
The percentage info is very useful, among many other bits I never knew before!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2016, 04:31 PM)Kakesim Wrote: Is there already a page on this site that I can navigate to which explains the new data I have revealed?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid128897

Quote:will Sleepyhead reveal the amount of time I spent in different sleep stages including REM sleep?

No. All a CPAP machine measures is the pressure and the flow rate of the air. Everything else is derived from those measurements, which is itself an engineering marvel.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Kakesim! You came to the right place for answers. Glad you found us!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to apneaboard Kakesim Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kakesim,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Sleepyhead and look for the patterns in the charts. I make a guess as to what rem looks like. If and when I get a better way of guessing I will have more faith in being right.

Good start to your CPAP trip. you are on the right track educating yourself.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you're in education mode, take a look at RobySue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead This educational wiki has some very good information, and is far more than a good guide for beginners, I think some doctors could benefit. Good luck with your use of auto CPAP. Sounds like you're off to a great start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.