Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions About my sleep study
RE: Questions About my sleep study
Don't let them get away with telling you "It's pages and pages of data you'd not understand." If they say that, then say "Send me the summary." They have one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well he may be very capable in telling you what he did but now you are suffering from not knowing the whole picture but were given enough to get your mind all caught up in a state that creates WOORY & stress & for some people this can be very bad.
I know someone close to me & she falls apart at the seams if she has had a test done & then gets a message left on her answer machine to call your Dr. & it seems it always falls on the last work day before a long week end.

In trying to calm her down I suggest doing something to keep her mind off the test & then took her blood pressure & that only made it worse because it was so high at that point she was at the rick of worse things than she was being tested for in the first place.

It took more than 3 weeks to get any of my results but I did get a bit of info from my tech on the way out because I was so nice to her & she was very caring & she said there was nothing alarming but confirmed to me that I defiantly took a long time to get to sleep & it showed that they would be able to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2012, 08:27 PM)Bristol Wrote: I guess the tech did tell me more than he should have because its left me more curious than ever whats going on.

Hi Bristol,

Techs have to be careful about what they tell patients. They can get in trouble for telling the patient any conclusions. In this case he's simply added to your stress by leaving you in the dark.

You can call the sleep center and ask them if they have the results of your sleep study yet. Their doctor has to generate a report stating the results. Once that's done it has to be forwarded to your PCP since he's the one who ordered the sleep study. Once your PCP gets that report he can call you and tell you the results. You can call and find out which step of this process they're on, and try to move things along. Don't let someone sit on the report while you're at home stressing out over this.

Also, even though it's hard, try to not stress out. You've been sleeping like this for years, so a few more days won't hurt.

You say you have insurance and you've met your deductible. Call your insurance company and get a list of mental health providers in their network. Make some calls and see a therapist. You'd be surprised at how helpful it can be to have someone to talk through this stuff with you.

Quote:He did say my snoring as he describe (snorts) were waking me up. 14 times an hour seems like a lot but from what I have read it appears arousing from sleep is normal but I could not find anything about what would be considered normal.

Less than 5 arousals per hour is considered normal, so you are well within the range where your insurance company will pay for your treatment.

You may get lucky and it may be something as simple as having your tonsils removed. I'd rather go through that than put up with a CPAP machine for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love my CPAP machine because I know it's saving my life and it's dramatically improving the quality of my life, but if having my tonsils out meant I could go without it I'd be scheduling the surgery today.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got an e-mail concerning my sleep study from the doctor. He said I had 3.9 events per hour and 21 hypopneas. I do not score high enough for sleep apnea however, he has told me I would benefit from an oral appliance. He said I had enough hypopneas that could be contributing to my being tired during the day. So, I have e-mailed back and left message for them to call me because I have questions and concerns. I told my husband prior to the study it was ironic that my nasal passages were more open than usual that night. I also I did not get up or wake up during that night nearly as much as I normally do and I think that might be do to the ambien. Or maybe it was just a good night compared to others. However, I am truly concerned that they do not have a real accurate picture of a normal nights sleep for me. Also, my blood pressure is higher in the morning even after taking the 100mg of labetalol at night. I felt my heart racing once when I woke up just since the sleep study. Labetolol should help keep the heart rate lower. I am certainly not trying to be diagnosed with sleep apnea. However, I am concerned that on many if not most nights I fall into that realm and would benefit from a c-pap. I was hoping for feedback on whether my concerns are warranted or not. I have read in my researching that sometimes people do not get diagnosed with just a one night study but do on a second study. The problems related to having APNEA fits me perfectly so its hard to believe I don't have it. If I do have it and need a cpap then I need this clinic to get on the ball. My deductible has been met for this year which is high and I am not going to be able to afford a cpap after the first of the year for a while. I have left a message at this clinics office twice and sent two e-mails. I cannot get through to a real person there even having to leave a message for the operator.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to add to that I am really not stressed out about the diagnosis of having sleep apnea because if I did have it then there is help with c-pap plus I would consider myself lucky to be diagnosed earlier than most women. However, my stress is just a time crunch. It took me 4 weeks to get to see this sleep doctor and another 6 weeks to get this sleep study. So, it is just going to really be crappy if it takes until next year to be definitely diagnosed and then I cannot afford the machine. Honestly, I would like to use a pulse oximetry for a few nights just to see how often my sats drop below 90%. At the hospital we want everyones to be 92% or above. If we have someone dropping down to 88% we put O2 on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is the sum of the number of apneas (pauses in breathing) plus the number of hypopneas (periods of shallow breathing) that occur, on average, each hour. 5-15 mild, 15-30 moderate, above 30 severe.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=AHI

[He said I had 3.9 events per hour and 21 hypopneas]

AHI = AI + HI = 3.9 + 21 = 24.9 = moderate sleep apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk for the reply. I went back and looked at the e-mail and this is what he typed:
I had 0 apneas 21 hypopneas for an apnea/hypopnea index of 3.9 per hours of recorded sleep. My baseline saturation was mid 90s with lowest 88%. All my hypopneas occurred while sleeping on my back. I dont recall sleeping on my sides but I was asleep so not sure. I fall asleep faster on my back. I do like to sleep on my sides however my arms and hands give me problems many times when I do that. They fall asleep and hurt like crazy so I spend some mornings hanging my arm off the edge of the bed to try to get it to feel better. He suggested wearing a backpack with towels in it. Honestly, I dont see that happening because it seems it would be quite uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be happy with that diagnoses. You do not have apneas, you have hypopneas. You don't need a CPAP machine. You probably would benefit from a dental appliance.

I don't intend to be mean here, but I have to tell you that losing weight may be one of the best things you could do for yourself. Also have a ENT check out your sinuses. You may benefit from a nasal spray or in the worst case scenario endoscopic surgery to keep your sinus passages open when you're sleeping. Only a good ENT could diagnose you properly, and should be interested in seeing the results of your sleep study. Perhaps you could simply report to your PCP that your nasal passages get blocked when you lie down. He may then refer you to a ENT or just prescribe a nasal spray or some other medicine for that ailment.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate the reply and no doubt could lose 20lbs. Certainly cant hurt my situation. My sinuses have been a long standing problem. I have already had deviated nasal septum surgery, I take allergy medication however not the more powerful stuff because it drys me out so bad it makes me miserable. And as far as nasal spray I would be using bottles of it as I did many years ago using it like an addict. So, I just deal with my sinuses. There far better than they once were as I no longer have constant never ending sinus infections. I have decided to just drop this issue concerning my sleep. I am ordering a cheap dental appliance over the net with [link removed]. The sleep doc was referring me to someone wanting $1,500.00 Thats not going to happen. I have been working days now for 3 weeks and I feel better than I did before. I use to wake up on the days I would sleep with migraines like none I have ever had before. I dont do that anymore. I dont walk around with that funny feeling in my head all the time like I use too. However, I still have the frequent waking up, muddeled thoughts high blood pressure that I was dx with before ever gaining weight and racing heart beat when I wake up at times. We will see if this dental appliance will help. Hopefully I can soon look forward to a truly good nights sleep. Thanks for everyones help on here!

In the future, refer people to items by name or say something along the lines of "Google Pure Sleep" - Moderator
-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a plethora of sleep disorders and sleep apnea is but one of them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.