Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions Regarding Machine Rental
Cool 
Questions Regarding Machine Rental
Hi I am new to the forum and CPAP in general. I received a rental Respironics Dreamstation APAP from my local DME. I have a few questions for someone more experienced than me in this topic. I understand the rental period is for 13 months. I have to use the machine for 30 consecutive days for insurance to pay. Insurance, however won’t pay in my case because I have not met my deductible correct? Could the machine just be purchased outright? I understand the DME has certain supplies like the cushion, hose, humidifier tank, etc. that are recommended to be replaced at scheduled intervals. If I don’t purchase these supplies will it geopardize my rental? Do I have to purchase the supplies from them? Supplies are much cheaper online from what I have researched. Just a little confused on how the system works. Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions Regarding Machine Rental
Is your deductible very high? If yes, then it may be better off to purchase your machine from an online vendor. You would probably pay less overall than you would pay a DME.

Call your insurance and find out exactly what you would be required to pay and go from there.

And while I’m thinking about it, always get a copy of your sleep study and prescription.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My deductible is kind of high $3000, but I have met some of it just not sure of the amount. I will call the insurance and check with them. I haven’t been billed anything as of yet. Next time I go to the doctor I am going to make sure and ask for a copy of the sleep study and the prescription. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Dreamstation Auto costs about $330 on Amazon and the Resned Airsense 10 Autoset is about $440. Think about it. No more rental. You can check with your insurance and see if they require 13 months of rental. That is usually the idea of a DME to increase profit. It also takes you into a second deductible year. If your deduction resets in January you should just buy outright. Get the Resmed if affordable
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Find out if your insurance is actually paying for a new machine. Then find out how many hours your machine has been used already.

My DME tried to pass off a used machine as new. When I caught them at it, they claimed they were a “rental company” and I was “renting” the APAP. They claimed I would only get if permanently after 13 months, month by month, which meant it was a rental.

I called the DME on it, arguing that my insurance company was paying for a new one. I could have reported them for fraud (I guess I still can). I did report them to the only Sleep Study Center for miles around.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #1 (see link at the top of the page) is advertising on our local radio stations a big savings on machines--especially Resmed. They are claiming they may be less than many insurance deductibles. I have used them for items not covered by Medicare and VA and find their prices are good.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a new machine as I checked the hours and everything when I first received it. It was brand new. I’m sorry HalfAsleep, I’ve read some stories and some of these DME’s can be crooked. 

Sleeprider, I agree I’m not buying some of their tactics. It is a lot cheaper to buy off online I have verified. But now that I have started the rental process and have the machine I’m not sure what to do? Let it go back? I don’t want to mess up my prescription, or is the prescription good from now on?

Thank you SideSleeper I will check them out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 09:16 PM)jrdnduvall Wrote: It is a new machine as I checked the hours and everything when I first received it. It was brand new. I’m sorry HalfAsleep, I’ve read some stories and some of these DME’s can be crooked. 
I’m so glad you did this and it worked out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 09:16 PM)jrdnduvall Wrote: It is a new machine as I checked the hours and everything when I first received it. It was brand new. I’m sorry HalfAsleep, I’ve read some stories and some of these DME’s can be crooked. 

Sleeprider, I agree I’m not buying some of their tactics. It is a lot cheaper to buy off online I have verified. But now that I have started the rental process and have the machine I’m not sure what to do? Let it go back? I don’t want to mess up my prescription, or is the prescription good from now on?

Thank you SideSleeper I will check them out.

Be sure you have your sleep study and prescription in hard-copy for your personal records.  The payments for equipment do not nullify the prescription, or any portion of it.  Get your equipment from Amazon, and get the mask and supplies from a DME if you want.  Your money, your choice.  Insurance should not cost you more than you would pay out of pocket.  You buy, everyone is happy but the DME.   The mantra here is "don't get screwed".  Get the best equipment, care and treatment you can, but don't pay for someone's boat.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I’m going to look into this further.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,170 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,595 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.