Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions Regarding Machine Rental
RE: Questions Regarding Machine Rental
Hi jrdnduvall,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you trish6hundred! 
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
I agree with the others. If possible get it thru method of your choice that's not the DME. Why make payments on someone's boat or limo you'll never be offered a ride on/in.

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay so I have about decided to let the Dreamstation go back and try a ResMed. Couple of questions about this. If I let the machine go back my pulmonologist should have the correct software to read the ResMed card correct? Even though I have been changing my own pressures how will the sleep doctor change pressures without a DME? Also, has anyone had good luck with the Airsense 10 off of Amazon read one bad review that said it wasn't able to be registered? 

Sorry for all the questions, 

Thanks Jordan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 08:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: A Dreamstation Auto costs about $330 on Amazon and the Resned Airsense 10 Autoset is about $440. Think about it. No more rental. You can check with your insurance and see if they require 13 months of rental. That is usually the idea of a DME to increase profit. It also takes you into a second deductible  year.  If your deduction resets in January you should just buy outright. Get the Resmed if affordable

o.O wow, are they overcharging me.  I'm roped into the rent to own deal as well.  I pay a 15% co-pay at $20 a month for 13 months.   That means they're charging me and my insurance a combined amount of $1,729 for my machine.  I mean....  I know to stay away from rent-to-own places, but I never expected my Dr. to 'order' me to go to one...  Makes a person wonder what kind of kickbacks they're getting for these referrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, enlyghten, most folks don't do the research BEFORE signing the contract. My family has previously been burned on insurance and Medicare coverage of Durable Medical Goods, so I know enough to check ahead of time. In most cases, if you have a high deductible, you are better off buying your machine from an online dealer along with your supplies until such time as you meet your high deductible. You could buy a used machine until then OR just buy new after getting your script from your doc.

In a few cases, local DME have offered machines at $100-200 more than online retailers to keep your business. So do check around. An online retailer isn't going to give you service, so there is sometimes an advantage to have a local dealer.

If you think cpap machines are a nightmare, try assisted walking!
Post Reply Post Reply
Fair enough.  I only have a 15% co-pay as the insurance pays the rest.  Overall I'm paying around $360 For a $400+ machine, so unless I'm unaware of something significant, I'm coming out ok.  I don't have a great deal of sympathy for insurance companies, either.

I feel stupid for saying this, but I'm not sure about a deductible.  Is it normal to pay a copay and deductible?  I tend to avoid doctors like the plague, so I'm not overly familiar with the process.
Post Reply Post Reply
You pay until your deductible is met. Than you pay the copay.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Crud.  I should have waited until January...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,595 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.