Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about Long Term OSA Damage, Reversible?
Questions about Long Term OSA Damage, Reversible?
I am curious about Long Term damage from either untreated or mistreated OSA therapy.
Since I have been on the AutoSet my heart rate has gotten much better, from 50-55 to 60-70 (mostly low 60's but much better!). My oxygen has hit 98-99 from a few short spikes but mostly stayed the same, low 90's, sometimes 80's. Is this reversible? Will continued AutoSet use bring my oxygen levels back up like it did for my heart rate over time? I feel like I am sleeping better but still waking and feeling tired during the day. Is it possible fighting against the incoming pressure for 22 months without the EPR & Ramp feature could have caused or contributed to my low oxygen and heart rate? The fatigue and tiredness has increased over this period with the last year being intolerable. Would appreciate any comments, thoughts, or experience from anyone else who may have gone this type of situation.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions about Long Term OSA Damage, Reversible?
You probably should discuss the low blood oxygen with your doc. Supplemental oxygen at night would probably be a good thing. Your doc may want to do lung function tests and the like.

Yes, the damage that was done is, for the most part, reversible. Oxygen getting to your body's cells is a good thing as is the other stresses that happen with untreated apnea.

Do a Google search for "damage from sleep apnea reversed with treatment" and some studies and the like will come up. Some of the links will be sites wanting to sell you their book or product. Ignore those. Other searches with similar search terms will reveal even more.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Boy, I certainly hope it is reversible..

I was diagnosed with a higher level of mild OSA about 15 years ago and ignored it.

Now I have severe apnea and started therapy in September.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
What's in the past has already happened. We can only affect the future, and the best way to do that is to continue using your CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2012, 09:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote: What's in the past has already happened. We can only affect the future, and the best way to do that is to continue using your CPAP machine.

I totally agree. I just note that my heart rate is consistently doing better which I thought would have brought my oxygen levels up also. I have no plans on giving up on therapy! I truly feel blessed that I have a machine that can meet my needs now. In all honesty I am disappointed with my past treatment and feel deprived of the benefits I could have received, I don't want to sound like a whiner, just feel like I lost a few years of my life while my wife carried most of the weight. I had such "big" plans to be able to contribute to my household income, even starting a web-site and taking out an expensive ad in the Yellow Pages but everything gradually went down hill as I was so tired I couldn't follow through. But there is always some good to come from the bad and now I have learned here and through my experience to share with others to avoid the Bricks at all cost. It seems so unbelievable that a two part 5 hour Sleep Study would solve our OSA for the next five years, lesson learned! I'll catch up, just looking forward to having some more energy and believe the oxygen should help. I took the first step when I started my search and found these forums, second was adhering to the advice and getting away from the Brick!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2012, 02:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You probably should discuss the low blood oxygen with your doc. Supplemental oxygen at night would probably be a good thing. Your doc may want to do lung function tests and the like.

Yes, the damage that was done is, for the most part, reversible. Oxygen getting to your body's cells is a good thing as is the other stresses that happen with untreated apnea.

Do a Google search for "damage from sleep apnea reversed with treatment" and some studies and the like will come up. Some of the links will be sites wanting to sell you their book or product. Ignore those. Other searches with similar search terms will reveal even more.
I will Paula, I was supposed to have my vitamin D level checked today but to much going on preparing for tomorrow. Glad to hear things are reversible, I'll do the search you suggested and see what I can learn! Thanks

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2012, 07:39 PM)Denial Dave Wrote: Boy, I certainly hope it is reversible..

I was diagnosed with a higher level of mild OSA about 15 years ago and ignored it.

Now I have severe apnea and started therapy in September.

Dave
Hi Dave, Glad you finally got your therapy going. My brother also has Severe OSA but gave up on the machine and had surgery. It was very difficult, they removed a lot of stuff, Nostrils to Throat. He says he is doing much better but wouldn't go that route again. I read somewhere that 70% of people who had surgery will eventually still have Sleep apnea. At least now I can point him here and make sure he doesn't get a Brick thrown at him!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
I don,t believe the damage can be reversible but once one start and stick with the therapy (which is easier said than done) can lead to better sleep which in turn can manifest in quality of life improvement

CPAP is not a miracle cure. you need to use every night all night to reap the benefits
over time you might find that your treatment requirements have changed
or feeling not working for you as should even you,re using PAP every night

its important to take care of your own treatment ... the odds are stacked against you from the start
the odds are staggering ... 50% dropouts

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 12:17 AM)zonk Wrote: its important to take care of your own treatment ... the odds are stacked against you from the start
the odds are staggering ... 50% dropouts

Some people who find this site are looking for answers and encouragement with their cpap therapy, but quite often what they are getting are negative statements like the one above.

How is that supposed to help the people who are looking for encouragement?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 05:35 PM)Allen Wrote: Some people who find this site are looking for answers and encouragement with their cpap therapy, but quite often what they are getting are negative statements like the one above.

How is that supposed to help the people who are looking for encouragement?
two ways
1- use the report button so admin aware of the situation
2- put the poster on your ignore list so you don,t have to see these kind of posts in the future ever again

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.