Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about Running CPAP on Battery when camping
Questions about Running CPAP on Battery when camping
Your thoughts and insight is appreciated. My cpap is a Resmed S9, as I work in the building industry I use Makita tools and have a number of 18volt batteries, some 5 and 9 amp hours.  I have a USB adaptor on the battery, if I then plug a cigarette lighter adaptor onto that and then plug in the Resmed cpap 12 volt convertor, will this work. Maybe this is crazy or will it be a short sleep until the battery needs replacing for a charged battery, I'm not sure, have you done this yourself, I'm looking forward to your responses thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions about Running CPAP on Battery when camping
All Resmed machines operate on 24 volts DC. There is a 12-volt adapter available for the S9 and Airsense 10, and they are different. The adapters use a proprietary voltage signal, and without that, the unit will not run on "unauthorized power" . The Resmed devices operate on a relatively low power draw when the humidifier and heated tube are off, but you still have to deal with a 12-volt to 24 volt converter and it has to conform to the Resmed's requirement to run.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you mentioned, there is a 12 volt adaptor for the S9 machine, this has a male cigarette lighter plug. I want to use the machine without the heated tube or humidifier and plug that convertor plug into a female cigarette lighter socket via an adaptor to the 18 volt battery. Correct me if I'm wrong are you saying the machine will not work?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think SR was saying that the S9 and A10 employ different power plugs and require different DC-DC power supply for each model.  Since the S9's humidifier was an option, the S9 had 2 different AC power supplies.  A 30 watt without the humidifier and a 90 watt unit with the humidifier.  In order for the base unit to sense which power unit was connected, Resmed employed a special 3-pin plug for the S9.  Resistors of different resistances between two of the pins was used to determine the power unit's watt rating.  The S9's DC-DC power supply comes only in one output wattage and will work with or without the humidifier.  Since the A10's humidifier is built-in, only one power output rated supply is offered in both the AC-DC and DC-DC supplies. Also, all the Resmed type of DC-DC power supplies are able to use 12 to 24 volts DC as an input source and, if necessary, modify it to the Resmed's 24v system's need.

I hope I cleared this up.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, CN it's good to receive a reply from a person who has actually read and understood my question rather than someone who may just want to spout off any old scrap of info just to clock up response numbers. I had hoped to hear from someone that may have actually tried this. Since the first response was of dubious quality, I contacted Resmed, they feel that this may work, so as soon as I get a couple of adaptors I'll give it a try. I've only asked one other question on this forum and I'm pleased to say you also helped me with that, thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan is running but no pressure from Dreamstaion Fireboss 0 11 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Fireboss
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.