Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about giving am old machine to a family member
RE: Questions about giving am old machine to a family member
Its not illegal for anyone to GIVE anyone a cpap machine. Its not illegal to buy one without a prescription. It is illegal to sell one without prescription However it is done all the time even by some online suppliers.

. Its not illegal to use one without a doctors prescription. Its not illegal to change pressures etc. Its not illegal to show someone how one works, ie turn it on set its pressures, its options etc. DMEs and Docs would love for it to be but it isnt.

Now with that out of the way.

She really should have at least an in home sleep study just to rule out central apnea. Short of that if someone watches her sleep a few nights all night they can tell if shes struggling to breath or if she just stops with no effort to breathe. Visual comformation of what the chest straps on a home study do.

If its an auto and she has obstructive OA and no other health problems. set the min at a pressure where she doesnt feel smothered and the auto will do the rest. Best to have Sleepy head or software and track her results tweak her pressures etc but lacking that the auto can help quite bit without out though not as much as with it software to track.

Untreated apena is worse than less than ideally treated apnea. If you want the best therapy once youve ruled out Central or complex apena or some health problem that prevents using Cpap youll wind up doing it yourself anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
THANK YOU for all the amazing replies. This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. It will help us make an informed decision. I will be sure to post here with an update to the results of her in-house sleep study, which is what I imagine she will do.

For those who were wondering, the machine is an Autoset.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok - thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2015, 12:53 AM)HotKludge Wrote: THANK YOU for all the amazing replies. This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. It will help us make an informed decision. I will be sure to post here with an update to the results of her in-house sleep study, which is what I imagine she will do.

For those who were wondering, the machine is an Autoset.

Thanks again!

As I said before, having an autoset is a game changer for this. Having a comfortable, proper fitting mask becomes the biggest issue. You can set her up at 6.0 minimum and let the machine titrate to her needs. The data would tell us everything we need to know within a day or two.

So if you're going to DIY, the next challenge is to get Sleepyhead software into your hands, and teach you how to use it and post the graphs.

http://sleepfiles.com/SH/index.html?TestingVersions Download and extract into a folder on your hard drive using 7Zip program.

How to load images http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 79 6 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 366 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 298 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 487 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 441 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 996 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.