Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about humidifier for Resmed VPAP S9
Questions about humidifier for Resmed VPAP S9
Since the weather is getting so much hotter outside, I find that I am running out of water in my humidifier.Huh Have any of you had that problem and have you come up with solutions?

Will it ruin my machine? This has happened now at least three times and I blame it on the hotter, drier weather.

The only solution I have is to have some distilled water handy when I do my middle-of-the-night bathroom break. If I have it premeasured then I can pour it in and return it to the machine to assure that I will have plenty of water. It will be a bit of a bother, but I have no other thought.

Any suggestions you all may have will be much welcomed.Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions about humidifier for Resmed VPAP S9
It won't hurt the machine or humidifier. My H5i is dry by the time I wake up on most mornings. I can't turn my humidifier down or my sinuses close up and I mouth breath all night. Could get a stand alone F&P humidifier("HC 150" I think) that has a larger tank and a Hybernite heated hose system to prevent rain-out. I've thought about doing that, but haven't bothered yet (I travel for work and that would be a project to pack up and unpack all the time). A room humidifier would help make the water in the tank last longer, but I don't like trying to sleep in a humid room.

Please share if you figure out a solution.

Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Alzwell,
I know it would be a pain putting more distilled water in the humidifier at night, but short of what jgjones1972 mentioned in the post above this one, it sounds like your idea about the distilled watter is a good compromise.
Hang in there for more suggestions to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier tank should not run dry, depending on how long been completely empty ... might smell of burning plastic

Try hose cover, as weather getting warmer lower humidity setting if its not too unpleasant ... tank-full will last longer
I,m using ClimateLine auto setting at 27C but everyone is different, what true for some, its the reverse for others

Post Reply Post Reply
Do not humidify the room. That can cause worse health issues unless your climate is so dry that you are running below 25% most of the year.

Yes, the F&P HC150 is great for times when you need "long range tanks"
The Hybernite hose can be found for around $40. This is a pretty good hose too.
Shop around and you can pick one up for about $140.
I am switching to the more robust stainless steel tank though. It also disassembles for
cleaning/disinfecting too.
The stock tank has an aluminum bottom in it and mine is already getting a coat of white oxide on it.
Aluminum corrosion products I do not like, Sam Iam.

My CPAP looks like a nuclear power plant now but it works great!

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2013, 10:48 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Do not humidify the room. That can cause worse health issues unless your climate is so dry that you are running below 25% most of the year.

Is it mold spores you're worried about? I'm curious what the concern is since many homes around here have humidifiers installed in their central forced-air systems with gas furnaces. It's a very common setup. The HVAC guys always seem to peddle them recommend them, and our average relative humidity is in the upper 80's!

We don't have a humidifier ourselves but one was suggested to us by the installer. Though we seem to get along fine without it (so far).

Amazing how much difference there is from here and the OP's state. I'm barely using any water at all and have been filling the humidifier less and less to try to reduce the waste. Right now I barely need 1/4 of the tub's capacity. I suspect I'll need more in the winter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2013, 10:48 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Do not humidify the room. That can cause worse health issues unless your climate is so dry that you are running below 25% most of the year.

Yes, the F&P HC150 is great for times when you need "long range tanks"
The Hybernite hose can be found for around $40. This is a pretty good hose too.
Shop around and you can pick one up for about $140.
I am switching to the more robust stainless steel tank though. It also disassembles for
cleaning/disinfecting too.
The stock tank has an aluminum bottom in it and mine is already getting a coat of white oxide on it.
Aluminum corrosion products I do not like, Sam Iam.

My CPAP looks like a nuclear power plant now but it works great!

Cheers!

I have been thinking about getting a HC150. Do you know if I can ADD it to my ResMed S9 that has a humidifier? I am not getting enough humidity and wake up with a dry mouth/head. I have the setting on high and have to refill the water chamber everyday. I had thought about adding a room humidifier but reading the posts here, looks like that would be a bad idea. I KNEW I wouldn't like it in the winter, the walls would get damp as I like sleeping very cool. So my next idea was to 'chain' the two humidifiers, a HC150 and my Resmed. Is that an option? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Wendee,

I am not sure (obviously) but it looks to me like you may be mouth breathing or leaking air from your mouth while asleep. Without the data from your machine it is very difficult to tell for sure.

I went for over a year with a nasal mask and dry mouth. I was sure that I had conquered the mouth leaking (I am not a mouth breather and get a little panicky if I can't breathe through my nose). I finally got on this board and got what was needed to see my data in graphical form. Was I wrong. I had major leaks but I never woke up with air blowing out of my mouth. I tried a chinstrap-didn't work for me. I got a full face mask and have been able to get my leaks down to a reasonable level. After a while with very acceptable leaks, I found that I no longer had dry mouth. Another thing that can give you dry mouth is running your humidifier out of water.

I would suggest that you obtain an SD card reader if your computer does not have one. I also suggest that you get the software ResScan or Sleepyhead. A lot of people on this board like Sleepyhead. I just got it set up and running the other day because my old CPAP would not work with it. Resmed had set up a proprietary memory card and reader for it that would not work with Sleepyhead.

After getting the software and the reader set up we can take a look at your leaks data and see if that might not be the cause of your dry mouth.

The SD card reader (if your computer does not already have one) can be purchased at many computer or office supply stores. You will probbly need one that plugs into your USB port.

There is a great deal of information on Sleepyhead in RobySue's excellent "Sleepyhead Software:Beginner's Guide". You can find a link to it at the beginning of the Apnea Board forum. As for the rest, there are plenty of people to help.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick response. I don't run out of water, that is not the problem. I probably SHOULD get all my info such as checking the data for leaks before I go spending money on something that may not help. I do have a full face mask but don't like it at all, have tried it over and over. I guess the chin strap could be the easiest next step. I'm not exactly tech savvy so have put off that part for as long as I could. Guess it is time to grit my teeth and tackle it.Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.