Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about my polysomnogram results
Questions about my polysomnogram results
Background, I have a lot of the symptoms like morning head aches, daytime sleepiness, snoring, 42 yr old male with a BMI @ 28. Also, I took an ambien before the test, my first time taking one.

Here are the results of my test:

Test duration: 424 mins
Sleep time: 402 mins w/ 95% efficiency
REM latency: 68.5 mins
Sleep stage distribution: Awake 5%, N1 3%, N2 74%, N3 0%, REM 18%
23 arousals & 15 awakening for a total arousal index (TAI) of 3 per hour of sleep
AHI of 1.5/hours
OxyHemoglobin levels 88-98%
0.1% below SaO2 of 90%

Obviously my AHI was <5 so here are my questions:
1. How does an 0% of N3 and a low REM percentage sleep affect the test?
2. Is a 0% of N3 sleep normal?
3. How is the TAI calculated? My math says it should be 5.7 per hour.
4. Should I accept the negative OSA result or request another test?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions about my polysomnogram results
head aches are usually caused by not clearing enough CO2 from your system. Your O2 is getting on the low side, border line. Any reason to suspect COPD? smoking? high dust environment?

Others with more experience will chime in later.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like they only counted the arousals and not the awakenings. I would ask them for the the raw data report, and maybe ask them why awakenings don't seem to count... Also, I'm not sure that arousals are the same as apnea events; they seem to be using non-standard terminology.

Certainly your other symptoms warrant further investigation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sportster,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a doctor but I would think the Ambien sleep medication would skew your results. ?

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 09:02 PM)foss Wrote: I'm not a doctor but I would think the Ambien sleep medication would skew your results. ?

Well, but not sleeping will also skew your results. If one's AHI came in at 6 or a bit mre one might argue that it was the sleeping pill, but not if you have more than a mild case. It it's the choice between a diagnosis with the pill and no diagnosis without one the choice is clear in my mind.

If you take a pill and the results show only mild apnea then it may be that the pill pushed you over the AHI 5 mark, but not if you have moderate or severe apnea.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Usually arousals are measured as Respiratory Event Related Arousals (RERA) and are expressed as a RDI. No doubt the level of disturbance you experienced is disruptive, however it may not qualify for insurance reimbursement. If that turns out to be the case, you can still use the study results to persuade your doctor to prescribe CPAP, if you willing to buy your own equipment. You can buy a top of the line auto CPAP on Amazon for $444 with heated humidifier and heated tube (Philips Respironics System One Remstar Auto). It may be a worthwhile investment for you. Used machines can often be obtained for much less through vendors like SecondwindCPAP or even Craigslist if you know what you're looking for.

I would request a complete copy of the detailed study results and recommendations. Then if you feel PAP therapy may be beneficial, get a prescription and go find out for yourself.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RERA stands for Respiratory Effort Related Arousal, which is related to needing to exert strong respiratory effort because of partial obstruction in the airway during inhalation.

The number of RERA per hour does not include apneas or hypopneas.

RERAs are not accompanied by large enough reduction in breathing volume or Oxygen desaturation to qualify as hypopneas or apneas, but nonetheless include arousals, interrupting or preventing deep restorative sleep. RERAs should be treated/prevented, and the best prevention is usually obtained by using bilevel CPAP, where the pressure during inhalation is greater than the pressure during exhalation. Optimally, RERAs would be treated with an auto-adjusting bilevel 'PAP machine.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 11:24 PM)sportster Wrote: Background, I have a lot of the symptoms like morning head aches, daytime sleepiness, snoring ...
Obviously my AHI was <5 so here are my questions:
1. How does an 0% of N3 and a low REM percentage sleep affect the test?
2. Is a 0% of N3 sleep normal?
3. How is the TAI calculated? My math says it should be 5.7 per hour.
4. Should I accept the negative OSA result or request another test?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regarding 1, I would say the test results of 0% of N3 and a low REM percentage sleep help to explain the daytime sleepiness.

Regarding 2, I am no expert but I think 0% of N3 sleep is not good.

Regarding 4, if I were you I would persue treatment with a fully data-capable auto-adjusting 'PAP machine, asking my primary doctor to prescribe one even if a second sleep study failed to document great enough need to warrant insurance coverage. This is your health and your quality of life which is being degraded by your "normal" amount of apneas and hypopneas and perhaps RERAs.

By the way, the sleep test results would be invalid if you happened not to spend a significant amount of time in your worst sleeping position for obstructive events, which for most of us is when we are sleeping flat on our back, supine. During your retest, be sure to spend at least some time sleeping supine or in whatever position is worst for you.

If you haven't already, would be good to read carefully the following advice about machine choices:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 179 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 131 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.