Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about pressure settings
Questions about pressure settings
I have been using my CPAP now for about 6 months, the last 4 months about 80-90% of the time. Every now and then i drift off early and forget. So i have no problem with getting to sleep with the mask.

I never had issues of sleeping while working, etc. I merely snored loudly all my life and have really never felt great when waking up. After a hard day at work, i can drift off sitting at the computer, but after a 12 hour day, thats probably normal for a guy in his mid 40's. Anyway, after my sleep study, i woke up feeling fantastic! Out of habit, i stayed in bed thinking i would drift off again, but i didn't. Felt outstanding all day. And i really didn't sleep long, with all the waking up for mask changes. During the night, she tried a LOT of different pressure settings, some were so high she woke me up and i had to press down on the mask to stop the whistling leak. But while i still feel ok now in the mornings, i haven't felt great again yet. So i figured i would up the pressure and see what happens. Could it have been physiological? I wanted to wake up feeling great so i did? I think not, since i still REALLY want too.

I have always felt i needed more air than i was prescribed. About a month ago, i upped it from 11 to 13. Really don't notice any difference in sleep quality. But, it does "feel" like enough air now.

First question. With my Resmed S9 will my doc KNOW i altered it if i set it back down before i see him? Does it record anything other than compliance?

My other questions depend on the answer to this one. Thanks for listening to me ramble!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions about pressure settings
Out of curiosity, what S9 do you have - I'm not sure it makes any difference about whether or not they'll know. If it has an SD card in it and you don't wipe the data, they will know and it would probably be hard to explain how the data was erased if you did that.

If you have a data capable machine like the Autoset (not Escape Auto!) or Elite, then you can download Sleepyhead and see what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
It DOES say AutoSet near the power button.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good! That machine records a bunch of sleep quality data. You can download the Sleepyhead program, the link is in the private section of this board, then take the SD card out of your machine and put it in your SD laptop port or get an SD/USB adapter to hook it up to your computer, import the data and a wealth of info will be available at your fingertips.

I would pay close attention to the ratio of OA to CA. A lot of OAs generally means you need a little higher pressure. Also take a close look at the leak data. A high leak rates means you likely aren't getting the therapy you need and raising the pressure won't usually help...fixing the leak rate will.

You can read up on all of the specifics by using the search thread in this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have an Autoset. Why is it set to straight CPAP??

Will your doctor want to see the data? Are you having to be compliant due to insurance reasons?

Yes, the data is on the machine and the card and the doc will know you made a change. You can view the sleep quality report on the screen, IF that option is set. Hit the info button once. That's the upper of the skinny buttons next to the dial. That will tell you every morning what your AHI was for that night.

The advantage to an autoPAP is you can set a range of pressure, a minimum and a maximum. It will adjust for your needs throughout the night. If your doc set it to be a single pressure, that's wasting the full capabilities of the machine and not giving you the best possible treatment.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 02:41 PM)AJLAND Wrote: I have always felt i needed more air than i was prescribed. About a month ago, i upped it from 11 to 13. Really don't notice any difference in sleep quality. But, it does "feel" like enough air now.

Not a valid reason for changing your pressure.

Quote:First question. With my Resmed S9 will my doc KNOW i altered it if i set it back down before i see him? Does it record anything other than compliance?

If your doctor sees the data he'll see the pressure settings. Your machine records leak rates and AHI. You need to monitoring both of those if you want to fine tune your therapy and improve the quality of your sleep

You can look at the data on your computer using either ResScan or SleepyHead software. Both are free.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The odds are real good the doctor won't look at anything other than the number of nights you used it more than 4 hours. A few doctors will look at your AHI numbers.

Either way, remember that it's YOU who is paying for the treatment.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, i got by with itWink Doc said nothing about my pressure change. I had even left it at 13 instead of returning it to the prescribed 11. My reasons for trying to "tweak" the pressure myself?

I have a hobby that requires a medical certificate. Sleep Apnea raised a million red flags. Never mind i NEVER slept without laying down and closing my eyes. I don't "nod off". Being able to show a Doctors report stating i am using my CPAP, went from 92 episodes per hour to 1.4 will help. If i had a real medical concern, i would put my health first. But i simply think i could sleep "better" than i currently am. So i will continue to read, download and learn how to use "Sleepyhead" and tweak away. Another year till i see the doc againWink
Post Reply Post Reply
AJLAND--Glad you now have the doc's input to use for keeping your medical certificate for your hobby, since it sounds like that is your no. 1 goal. Meanwhile, in light of Paula's comments to you, you may be able to get back to that great sleep experience you had during your sleep study if you switch your machine over to the auto mode and set upper and lower pressure limits. Doing so will, as Paula wrote, allow the autoset to adjust to your changing pressure needs during the night. Then, you will be able to see what pressure you need most of the time as well as the range of pressures you need. Right now, it's really unknown as to whether the 13cm pressure you set is the best or second or third best setting for you.
I'd suggest that you also try ResScan software. I have both that and SleepHead and have found myself using ResScan more frequently to see exactly what's going on with my sleep.
One more thought to share with you, about snoring. My sleep doc told me that it's believed in the medical community that snoring is on the same continuum as apnea. That is, as snoring increases it gets to a point where it is or becomes apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good sleep and good health are my primary goal, i just didn't see the point in allowing any negative response on my part to interfere with the obvious good numbers on my report. Hobbies come AFTER health, but my health issues ARE under control. So, yes, time to refine the results. A month at 13 without any better sleep is probably enough to try another setting? I don't want to start changing it every night, so i have left it alone to see how it worked over time. I will be reading up on the Autoset option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,564 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 448 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 363 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.