Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about pressure settings
RE: Questions about pressure settings
If you are trying to find your optimum pressure, using the auto of your Autoset is the way to go.

A regular CPAP delivers the same pressure, apnea event or not.

An autoPAP delivers pressure according to your need. So if you are not having an event, it figures out what pressure you need to keep your airway open then reacts when you have an event by raising the pressure in response.

The good thing about using an autoPAP is since no two nights are the same, why should your pressure be the same? It can react to whatever you happen to need each night. And needs change. Stress, food intake, liquid intake, medication, day of the week, etc all factor into the quality of sleep.

Since you know 13 is good, you may try to use 11 as the bottom number and 15 as the top. The machine will not go lower than 11 and won't go higher than 15. You can then look at the data to see what pressure ranged while you slept. You'd need to collect data for about 10 nights before you see a trend.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Paula!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2012, 09:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you are trying to find your optimum pressure, using the auto of your Autoset is the way to go.

A regular CPAP delivers the same pressure, apnea event or not.

An autoPAP delivers pressure according to your need. So if you are not having an event, it figures out what pressure you need to keep your airway open then reacts when you have an event by raising the pressure in response.

Well it's been three weeks and I don't know if I really found an optimum pressure. However, I am considering the average as a bit higher than my prescribed level. After tonight's sleep I will do a final tally and print out my findings for Tracy. Her business card says "Registered Respiratory Therapist" (B.Sc.,R.R.T.) along with my experience prior to and during my nights with the S8 AutoSet II. I have to return it tomorrow morning and it's back to my S9 Escape. I sent a note to my doctor about my experiences a few days ago and have never heard back from him. If I can't get a new prescription and/or an upgraded machine, I'll have to do the changes myself.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it common to wake up "gassy" wearing a full face mask? I literally had a stomach ache i had to fart so badWink

It doesn't happen all the time, probably 20% of the time. Never happened before CPAP though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2012, 06:54 PM)AJLAND Wrote: Is it common to wake up "gassy" wearing a full face mask? I literally had a stomach ache i had to fart so badWink

It doesn't happen all the time, probably 20% of the time. Never happened before CPAP though.

Da Air gotta go somewhere.

Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is possible that with the full face mask, you are getting full treatment with no leaks. Air in the belly is common. For me, it is usually belches (I could sit up, bend over slightly, sit back up, and belch out the alphabet in one go. crude but fun). My pressure was originally at 8 then the doc raised it to 10. With that one, I did have the gas exit via the other outlet every other night or so with belches for the rest.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense now. As i raise the pressures, it got much more noticeable. Another week,if no improvements, i am going back down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 09:32 AM)AJLAND Wrote: Makes sense now. As i raise the pressures, it got much more noticeable. Another week,if no improvements, i am going back down.

AJ,

Your best bet is what Paula said - Go with AUTO.

Your condition (Aerophagia) is better explained in the Wiki: Click Here

Good luck!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
What Paula said. This is small potatos compared to heart attack, stroke or just waking up dead.
Anyway. Few things are as underrated as a good belch! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 02:41 PM)AJLAND Wrote: First question. With my Resmed S9 will my doc KNOW i altered it if i set it back down before i see him? Does it record anything other than compliance?

(11-25-2012, 04:33 PM)Sleepster Wrote: If your doctor sees the data he'll see the pressure settings.

I have never tried this, but I am ASSUMING - oh man forget it.
I know now. I was assuming that the data files were stored in an easily editable format that you can fake. I just checked. No. Most if not all the files (and you'd have to know which ones) can't be edited with a text editor. Better explain it to him.

Then there's me. The doc doesn't seem at all interested in knowing.
There is my respiratory therapist. Up until now I played dumb. To an extent.
They know I can keep accurate data independently of the machine data (I didn't have my own data card (not SD) for the S8 I was using. But she learned my record keeping was quite accurate.
They know I use ResScan because I said I did. Since I realize she'll probably realize that I already bumped my pressure up to the prescribed level of 11.0 I've decided not to hide it and I'll have to break the news gently to her that I don't rely on her to make adjustments when I see her on January 3 where she expects to save the world by adjusting the pressure on my CPAP.

http://youtu.be/4rO1n8-SuNM

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,562 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 363 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.