Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about the Amara View
RE: Questions about the Amara View
I had no problems with the Amara View even with BiPAP at 25 / 21

Its not about pressure as much as it's about facial structure where each of us is different.

You have to try masks on.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
used the Amara View for about two weeks. Even with the large size I had problems with leaks at the corners of my mouth and bottom of my mouth if my jaw dropped slightly. It's too bed because I liked the design.

I have use the Quatro FX for a couple of years and liked it but I like the new AirFit F20 even more. I get much better leak rates with it than with the Quatro FX.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know how helpful I can be, but I figured I'd chime in.

The Amara View is my backup mask, so I've not used it much.

My main problem with it is that it pushes back my lower jaw... which I don't appreciate, because I don't want my bite to be messed with.

My other problem with it is that leaks wake me up... but I think this could be solved if I just tried to use it more frequently & consistently. (Although I do think the leaks happen because my jaw gets pushed back.) I like my DreamWear too much to bother with trying to get the perfect seal on the Amara View, though. So... it makes a good backup mask for me. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the Amara View for a month now and find that it works for me. But my 90% is around 9, I do get the odd night were pressure is 10 - 11 which does cause a little blow out around my mouth, I did get what I would say pimple effect in my left nostril for about a week but that has gone. I stopped using the humidifier to get used to it as I will be going to Australia in September for 3 month motorcycle trip & camping, possibly using battery power.
I have been trying to not mouth breath by keeping my tongue in the roof of my mouth & found that I was getting a dry nostrils, so I use a little Vaseline in the nostrils that fixes that.
It has been mentioned above that adjustment is the key to most masks & the View isn't any different, I found that it required very light strap tension that allowed the mask to set with the pressures I run 7 - 13. If it starts to leak at night i found just pulling it away from my face & letting it back to my face to reseal works.
I do like it better than the Amara FF that I had from the start of using CPAP, which I found I got too many itchy nose & leaks around the bridge of the nose into my eyes.
Post Reply Post Reply
only use the amara view and love it, there is a learning curve though.
it is very sensitive to strap pressure, 1/8 inch at a time once you get close
if the lower strap is too tight it can push your lower jaw back
once the pressure starts up, pull the entire mask out a little and then let it sit back down to inflate it
you can increase the strap pressure without increasing pressure on the bridge of your nose
if you think about the airway size and the quite small airway at the top of your nose, you really have plenty of air
the "strap" near the air hole should sit flat against your upper lip and not under your nose
side/back sleeper, even face down on edge of pillow and no leaks
I can yawn with it on and place my lower jaw back under the mask without readjusting it (most times)
make real sure the mask is clean and dry and your face also, any skin oil and the mask will not seal correctly
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 11:22 AM)dawoodsman Wrote: I added my thoughts to a review on the board for this mask.  After figuring out how to adjust it I didn't have an issue with leaks after the first few days--but I think my pressures are lower as well.  I did have two other issues--the first I would have eventually fixed with a scissors had I kept the mask--the hole for the nose was quite a bit narrower than my nose is, possibly to prevent leaks--but it gave me this sensation of not being able to take a good breath, especially when I first put it on and it was still ramping up.  Biggest problem though was the vent--strong air flow through the vent which is pointed UP, not out--air blows over your eyes all night long.  

I had the same problems with the Amara View.  I would wake up with puffy eyes from the air blowing into them all night.  I found the mask very comfortable to sleep with especially on my side.  The worst thing for me was that this mask gave me intense sinus pressure and headaches when I would awaken in the morning.  For these reasons I stopped using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I've finally figured out the cause of my Amara View leaks!!!!! I felt like no matter how tightly the straps were cranked, it would leak. I loosened them to a more comfortable tightness... and realized there's an adjuster at the top of the head. So I *tightened* the top one, which snugged it up to my nose, and what do ya know, no more leaks!

I haven't tried the mask for a lot of hours to really see if this was a good fix, but so far so good!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2017, 08:23 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I think I've finally figured out the cause of my Amara View leaks!!!!!  I felt like no matter how tightly the straps were cranked, it would leak.  I loosened them to a more comfortable tightness... and realized there's an adjuster at the top of the head. So I *tightened* the top one, which snugged it up to my nose, and what do ya know, no more leaks!

I haven't tried the mask for a lot of hours to really see if this was a good fix, but so far so good!

I hope that does the trick for you.  Let us know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 349 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 306 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Looking for Help Interpreting OSCAR Daily View timfik 4 585 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: timfik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.