Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about the Amara View
Questions about the Amara View
I am almost 2 months into my APAP journey. My pressure is 15-20cm with mean of about 16 (may lower pressure at 3 month). To cope with high pressure on exhalation, I must use EPR=3cm. Average < 2.0 AHI last 14 days.

My current mask is the F10 FFM. My results are good with the F10 but it tends to ride up even with a chin strap and then I have corner of the mouth leaks leading to dry mouth. Mask seems too narrow around my mouth. Leaks in 10-15 L/hr range but within 24L/hr limit.

Tried the Mirage Liberity but found the "nose prongs" severely irritated my nose after 2 nights plus leaks at nose excessively directly into my eyes. The mouth portion was wide and that worked well. Tried it twice with same results.

I would like to try the Amara View. Several questions of experienced users:
1) how well does it handle high pressure > 15cm with respect to leaks around the nose,
2) is the lower portion wide enough to cover the mouth well to prevent corner of the mouth leaks,
3) slide and back sleeper but not a "toss and turn" sleeper, so does it stay in place on shift in position?

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions about the Amara View
I cannot comment on the Amara View; I have no experience with it.

I am wondering if your F10 is properly sized for you. The size is indicated by a letter such as M or L on the bottom of the mask seal.
Each size increment is 1 centimeter longer along the vertical axis. The F10 has two frame sizes: the M and L size and the the XS and S size.
If you are using an M, I wonder if you would be better served by an L size cushion (M and L fit the same mask frame.)

And, not to nit pick; but leak is in units of Liters per minute.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Amara View and I get blowout out leaks around my nose 15.6. The leak blows in my eyes so I am keeping the pressure below 15.6
there are several good threads on this mask and there are hyperlinks to them on the bottom of this webpage under the banner Possible related threads.

Some people have mentioned sores on their noses form this mask, in the threads below, with explanations and remedies.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2016, 01:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: I cannot comment on the Amara View; I have no experience with it.

I am wondering if your F10 is properly sized for you. The size is indicated by a letter such as M or L on the bottom of the mask seal.
Each size increment is 1 centimeter longer along the vertical axis. The F10 has two frame sizes: the M and L size and the the XS and S size.
If you are using an M, I wonder if you would be better served by an L size cushion (M and L fit the same mask frame.)

And, not to nit pick; but leak is in units of Liters per minute.

Thanks for the sizing info. I have an M. I will try an L. Since it will fit the same frame. If the mouth leaks were gone I would be well served with the F10. Even when it is high on the nose nearly to the eyebrow there are no leaks at the eyes. I use a nose gel pad and Silent Night liners. Only time it may leak at nose is if the pressure goes to about 18 cm which is rare.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using an Amara View since July 2015. I have never had any irritation on my nose or anywhere else. My max pressure is 13.4 and my long term 90% average is about 12. Anything much over 13 makes leaks hard to deal. I am a rather big guy but find the small mask fits where the medium and large do not. Too much strap tension causes leaks. With "just the right" strap tension, the mask "inflates" to seal well. Once my pressure stabilize I am generally comfortable and leak free the rest of the night.

Mask fit and preference are a very individual and personal thing. Hopefully, you have a cooperative DME that will let you experiment.

fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
My son uses high pressures like yours. actually just moved to bipap as he sometimes tops out at 20. His first mask was the Amara and he found it unable to withstand the pressure and now uses the F10. YMMV - it is all about the face shape.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I added my thoughts to a review on the board for this mask. After figuring out how to adjust it I didn't have an issue with leaks after the first few days--but I think my pressures are lower as well. I did have two other issues--the first I would have eventually fixed with a scissors had I kept the mask--the hole for the nose was quite a bit narrower than my nose is, possibly to prevent leaks--but it gave me this sensation of not being able to take a good breath, especially when I first put it on and it was still ramping up. Biggest problem though was the vent--strong air flow through the vent which is pointed UP, not out--air blows over your eyes all night long.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the responses so far the Amara View does not appear to be a good choice for me. It seems to have high pressure blow out issues and vents toward the eyes which is not good with my dry eye problem.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The Amara View is fantastic for me but my pressure is only a mean of 12 cm/H2O and I get a good seal and with a medium cushion.

Have you tried the ResMed Quattro FX? It's a full Face Mask with no forehead support.  I was unable to use the F10 either, you are correct it is very narrow at the mouth area.  Not so with the Quattro FX.  Much wider at the mouth so not mouth blow out.  It also only goes mid bridge of you nose. So the whole mask sits lower on you face.  I can wear reading glasses, watch TV all with nothing obstructing your view.  The Amara View and the Quattro FX are my switch off masks but the Quattro FX can handle higher pressure with no leaks.  Get the correct size and get the head gear adjusted right and it achieves a great seal.  If you do go with the Quattro FX, I suggest the Snuggle Minis. They are little sleeves that go on the straps, no more morning strap marks, very comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are indeed very personal things and what works for one will not work for another. The Amara View was not good for me. It tended to blow air at my eyes during the night if it shifted out of position even in the slightest and I tried different strap tensions. To be honest, I had the worst sleeps with that mask out of all the masks I tried. I'm not a big fan of it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 348 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Looking for Help Interpreting OSCAR Daily View timfik 4 585 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: timfik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.