Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions after two nights with APAP
RE: Questions after two nights with APAP
(07-12-2019, 10:37 AM)finitethis Wrote: Based on the feedback in this forum, I just completed night 3 with the following modifications:

* I reduced EPR from 3 to 1 to see if it helped with CA events.
* I reduced the min pressure from 6.6 to 6.2.

<snipped> 
I will say that the mask and pressure felt very natural from the start of lying down. I'm assuming this is because the reduced EPR was more comfortable for me?

See attached for full night OSCAR results and a two-min zoom in on a CA event. I'm not sure if I was awake when this CA event was recorded or not.

Hi finitethis,

In the two minute zoomed in portion of the Flow waveform showing a CA, the CA marked at 4:26.31 appears to me to be a “real” CA and I think you were asleep.

CAs are not uncommon, especially when starting PAP therapy. I think about a third of new users/patients have 5 or more of these per hour, and for at least half of the new users who initially have more than 5 per hour the CAs tend to gradually reduce to 1 or 2 per hour or less, as their system gets used to PAP therapy during the initial weeks or couple months of treatment. 

Notice that the resumption of the Flow is gradual when the CA ends. This is a classic characteristic of a CA. Obstructive events pretty much always end with sharp, large recovery breaths. 

Also notice that the CA was preceded by a few larger-than-normal breaths, after which the Flow waveform gradually decreased and stopped, which is how many CA events start. 

I think the pressure and EPR changes you made look good for now. Or, you could try reducing EPR to zero, but personally I have always preferred at least a little EPR (or at least a little “Pressure Support” which on a bilevel machine is similar to ResMed EPR). After several weeks you could try increasing EPR to see whether you prefer it that way and whether EPR no longer causes an excessive number of CA events. 

By the way, I suggest changing the vertical scale of your Flow waveform to perhaps +/- 80 (instead of +/- 155), to better see fine detail. 

When your Flow exceeds +/- 80 the peaks of the Flow waveform would be clipped, but I think it does not help much to know exactly how large the peaks are, but it is very helpful to see clearer detail during normal breathing. 

Take care,
Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.