Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions and Hello from new member
Questions and Hello from new member
I was told last week I have sleep apnea and go tomorrow night for 2d night of study. I was so happy to find this board and have really spent some serious time researching machines and what to expect. I can't thank the members who post enough for taking time to help others on their journey to good sleep.

My questions have to do with mask and machine choices. I have COPD, congestive heart failure and am on 4/lt of oxygen 24/7. I know during the sleep study they came in and woke me up as my oxygen saturation was down to 70% and she was afraid I had pulled the oxygen off (I hadn't). So do I need a special machine or mask to work with the oxygen? Will the S9 AutoSet be ok or do I need another type? I know I am a mouth breather too. I never really felt like I had sleep apnea, my husband has had it for years, but I haven't had any of his signs so I am still having a hard time accepting this diagnosis. Any advice on the best way to add in the oxygen will be appreciated and relieve my mind some.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions and Hello from new member
The S9 Autoset and the other S9 family can handle up to 5 LPM of Oxygen induced into the CPAP flow using a Tee at the output of the humidifier.
I have a concentrator and my Rx calls for 2LPM to be added to my CPAP flow. I have a Tee at my humidifier output.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello cdstack and welcome
Make sure you get copies of the sleep study reports to better understand your condition
Depend on the diagnoses, your doctor can recommend the right machine for you, S9 AutoSet might not be the best machine in your condition and does not treat central sleep apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2014, 07:46 PM)cdstack Wrote: I was told last week I have sleep apnea and go tomorrow night for 2d night of study. I was so happy to find this board and have really spent some serious time researching machines and what to expect. I can't thank the members who post enough for taking time to help others on their journey to good sleep.

My questions have to do with mask and machine choices. I have COPD, congestive heart failure and am on 4/lt of oxygen 24/7. I know during the sleep study they came in and woke me up as my oxygen saturation was down to 70% and she was afraid I had pulled the oxygen off (I hadn't). So do I need a special machine or mask to work with the oxygen? Will the S9 AutoSet be ok or do I need another type? I know I am a mouth breather too. I never really felt like I had sleep apnea, my husband has had it for years, but I haven't had any of his signs so I am still having a hard time accepting this diagnosis. Any advice on the best way to add in the oxygen will be appreciated and relieve my mind some.

Welcome to the Board!

A special machine is not needed, as Oxygen can be ported in via an adapter between the hose and the mask. An S9 Autoset or similar PR System One unit will work fine.

If you're a mouth breather, you'll probably want to start off with a full face mask. When you get get comfortable and see benefits from the therapy, you might want to experiment with a nasal or nasal pillows type mask, assuming you can figure out how to sleep with your mouth closed.

I have COPD and Emphysema as well, and my sats dropped into the 70's before PAP therapy. Now, I stay in the 90's, and do not need Oxygen. I should mention that my sats are at least 88 during the day, except during aerobic activity. Then I go on Oxygen.

Best wishes to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cdstack,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you on your sleep study and hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and info, I will rest a little easier and for sure I would like to see the report for myself and prove I have this...still hoping there was a mixup Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2014, 07:46 PM)cdstack Wrote: I know I am a mouth breather too.

Many people who are mouth breathers discover they can get along just fine with only a nasal mask. Nasal masks cover only the nose, not the mouth. A different version is the nasal pillows mask that fit inside the nose. These are less prone to leaking and are preferred by some people.

Others find that they need a full face mask that covers both the nose and the mouth. Another version is the hybrid mask that covers the mouth and also has nasal pillows for the nose.

When you have your 2nd sleep study they'll likely start you out on a nasal mask, and if you start mouth-leaking they'll switch you to a full face mask.

After you get your machine you'll have the opportunity to try out different masks until you find one or two that suit you.

The S9 won't work for you if you were diagnosed with central or mixed apnea, but that should already have been determined during your 1st sleep study.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 150 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 135 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.