Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions for Pulmonologist
RE: Questions for Pulmonologist
FWIW not trying to play lawyer, but the statement "I/E times are almost always wrong in OSCAR" versus "Well it is almost always for me" have a very big and significant difference, Geer1. The first implies that OSCAR is always wrong for everyone in the I:E ratio report. The second implies it's always wrong for you.

Note that if OSCAR is something you don't like for any reason, it's not required for you use it. It's free to use, and you're free to use it or not. And it could be a fact that OSCAR reports the I:E ratio wrong sometimes or all the time. However, I believe that aspect is less important than accurately reporting apnea events.

Your argumentative and condescending attitude is not appreciated. It detracts from the assistance this Apnea Board has provided for several years. Straighten up and act like a sensible adult that doesn't intentionally cause trouble or you're free to leave.

To the OP car54: my apology to make the off-topic remarks. I hope you'll get the therapy issues figured out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other thing that I have noticed is that when I am awake lying in bed my respiratory rate is significantly less. Once I fall asleep it raises and throughout the night it could be extremely erratic.

Resmed Airsense from 2017
[Image: TJ7Jkee.png]

Current Airsense
[Image: CnbBM7S.png]
Aircurve (most consistent of all)
[Image: 7sZLFfW.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Not on the VAuto though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my worst vauto but the vast majority are like the above post

[Image: ISdGFVy.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes your results are better on the Vauto. There are three potential reasons or it could be a combination of the three.

EPAP is higher, this is what holds airway open.

PS is higher (EPR on airsense). This helps flow more air.

Timing controls (trigger and cycle sensitivity as well as Timin and Timax might be having some influence.

As for what to gain from this and to tell your pulmonologist it depends mostly on how you feel on the different machine. If you feel like you aren't getting as good of a sleep on the air sense then make an argument as to why it doesnt work.

A) You feel tired, unrested etc.

B) You data shows higher numbers of flow limitation. If you can see where these flow limitations are causing RERAs (glow limited breaths leading into large irregular breaths) than say also more RERAs because of this.

C) Your respiration rate fluctuates and remains elevated at times on air sense but not very often on vauto. You should look at data to confirm if it is actually your respiration rate that is fluctuating or if it is oscillations or something within the breath waveform that cross the 0 flow line causing respiration rate to be incorrectly reported.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,215 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  been on CPAP for 5.5 weeks, still tired. pulmonologist has dismissed me mushroom 12 927 01-11-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.