Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions for the Sleep Doctor
Questions for the Sleep Doctor
I will be seeing my sleep doctor for my yearly visit this week. This will be the second time I've seen this doctor as I switched from the doctor who originally diagnosed me with OSA. Since joining this forum I have been fortunate to learn many things, for which I am grateful.

Can anyone tell me what kinds of questions I should ask the sleep doctor? The original doctor was not the kind of person who encouraged questions at all. I've been told that this doctor likes it when patients are involved in their care.

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions for the Sleep Doctor
What stands out in my Resscan reports as positive and negative?
Do you think my therapy is effective?
What can we do to improve my sleep?
What can we do to improve my daily energy?
Post Reply Post Reply
How 'bout dem Bears!
Post Reply Post Reply
Has the doc asked you to bring the SD card or machine. If not, he'll not be reading any data.
Ask the doc: "How am I doing." (Instead of him asking you.)
Make sure it's a discussion and not a monologue.
Question statements when called for.
If he says you're doing fine -- yet has no data -- ask him how he knows that.
Perhaps the best question: What is my AHI with the therapy?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2014, 02:16 PM)justMongo Wrote: Has the doc asked you to bring the SD card or machine. If not, he'll not be reading any data.
Ask the doc: "How am I doing." (Instead of him asking you.)
Make sure it's a discussion and not a monologue.
Question statements when called for.
If he says you're doing fine -- yet has no data -- ask him how he knows that.
Perhaps the best question: What is my AHI with the therapy?

The doc's nurse reminded me to bring the SD card from the machine, and she downloads the information from the card before I even see him. When I register at the receptionist desk, they politely ask if I've brought the SD card to be downloaded and then I hand it to them.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2014, 02:49 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: The doc's nurse reminded me to bring the SD card from the machine, and she downloads the information from the card before I even see him. When I register at the receptionist desk, they politely ask if I've brought the SD card to be downloaded and then I hand it to them.

Sounds like this doc will be worth keeping.

How sleepy/fatigued are you during the day?

Are you having problems from too much pressure (swallowing too much air to be comfortable, or hearing problems or balance problems, or too many central apneas, and have you been checked for glaucoma lately? (How is your peripheral vision?) If so, you might do better with a lower Max Pressure setting, so that your machine will not be able to adjust the pressure so high. And by sleeping only on your side (not on your back) you may be able to reduce how high your machine needs to raise the pressure.

To look at the sleep report which is available on your machine's LCD screen, press and hold down for about 5 seconds continuously both the rectangular button with two check marks AND the tall round knob, both at the same time.

When you get into the Advanced Report screen, turn the round knob to navigate, to see all the report data.

If you want to select or change anything, you will need to turn the round knob until what you want to edit is highlighted, and then press the round knob to enter edit mode, and then turn the knob again to change whatever is being changed (to change the date range of the report, or whatever).

Look at your data and see if there is anything interesting there to ask the forum or the doctor about.

Does the highest pressure used on most nights get limited by the Max Pressure setting being too low, such that the Max Pressure setting does not let the pressure adjust itself as high as it wants to go? If so, and unless you have problems when the pressure gets high, you might do better with a higher Max Pressure setting, so that your machine could adjust the pressure higher when needed.

Is your median pressure several cm H2O higher than your Min Pressure setting? If so, you might do better with a higher Min Pressure setting, so that your machine does not keep always dropping back toward a Min Pressure which is too low.

On the other hand, is your median pressure almost the same as your Min Pressure setting? If so, and if you prefer it that way, that is fine. Or, you might do better with a lower Min Pressure setting, so that your machine could spend more time a lower pressures.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,718 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 269 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 2 112 03-19-2024, 03:18 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.