Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions on ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Questions on ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Hi All,

Couple of questions:

It seems like my machine and I have different rr's. Can the respiration rate by set or does the machine adjust to the subject's respiration rate?

Is there a difference between ASV and ASVAuto? If so, please explain what the difference is.

Thank you.

Victor
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions on ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Hi Victor,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone will be able to help you with your questions soon, as I don't know much about ASV machines.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you can set the rate on your machine, but if you can, I would be reluctant to do that.
Your machine constantly monitors your breathing and makes changes as needed for you being an Autoset. I thinks Resmed calls that technology Pacewave on their S9 VPAPs.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2013, 06:47 PM)Victor_Loher Wrote: It seems like my machine and I have different rr's. Can the respiration rate by set or does the machine adjust to the subject's respiration rate?

Is there a difference between ASV and ASVAuto? If so, please explain what the difference is.

Hi Victor, welcome to the forum!

Respiration Rate is not adjustable on ResMed ASV machines. The machine is trying to match your natural rate, but it can take a while to relax and learn to breath naturally (slowly) when the machine is helping you breath. Also, if you swallow or try to pause, the machine will try to keep you breathing, which at first feels like it is fighting you. We get used to it and learn not to be bothered by this.

For those who may be buying a new or used ResMed ASV machine: there is more than one type of "ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt". My machine, model number 36007) has CPAP mode and ASV mode but not ASVauto mode. Newer model number 36037, manufactured in November 2012 or later, in addition has ASVauto mode. ResMed changed the features and model number but did not change the model name (no doubt thereby making it easy to keep selling inventory of the older model at full price).

Modes: ASV and ASVauto

ASV mode does not automatically adjust the lower or exhalation pressure (EPAP), so EPAP is a fixed, unchanging pressure unless manually changed in the Settings menu. (Both ASV mode and ASVauto mode automatically adjust Pressure Support quickly, breath-by-breath. PS is how much the pressure is boosted during inhale. PSmin and PSmax are set in the Settings menu. If your breathing stops or reduces significantly, the PS will immediately adjust higher, breath-by-breath, to try to keep you breathing at approximately 90% of your recent volume of air per minute before you stopped. The breaths per minute will be whatever your recent natural breathing rate was before the cessation/reduction in breathing, while the amount of PS is adjusted higher or lower to keep you breathing at that 90% target level.)

ASVauto mode does automatically adjust the lower pressure (EPAP), much like an AutoSet machine adjusts the EPAP pressure to minimize obstructive events, which are Flow Limitation, Snore, Hypopneas and Apneas. EPAP will be automatically adjusted (gradually adjusted higher or lower, usually over many breaths, little by little) within a range, from EPAPmin to EPAPmax. (Both ASV mode and ASVauto mode automatically adjust Pressure Support quickly, breath-by-breath.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the welcome to the forum and the informative responses.

Victor
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vaughn,

Thank you for your response. Although I have read quite a bit on the internet about the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt, I haven't found much that explains how it adjusts. Your response was very informative and much appreciated.

I have the older model, like you. Didn't even know that until I read your model # in your profile. I had downloaded the clinician manual and had tried to look at the settings, but the manual showed "CPAP, ASV and ASVAuto" as possible selections, but my VPAP only showed "CPAP and ASV". Now I understand that that is because it is an older model. Quite surprising since it's only a little over a year old. Do you know if there is a firmware update for this model?

Thanks again.

Victor
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2013, 02:06 PM)Victor_Loher Wrote: I have the older model, like you. Didn't even know that until I read your model # in your profile. I had downloaded the clinician manual and had tried to look at the settings, but the manual showed "CPAP, ASV and ASVAuto" as possible selections, but my VPAP only showed "CPAP and ASV". Now I understand that that is because it is an older model. Quite surprising since it's only a little over a year old. Do you know if there is a firmware update for this model?

Hi Victor,

As far as I know, model 36007 cannot be upgraded to model 36037, unfortunately.

I received my machine in January, buying it after having researched it on ResMed's website. After using it for a week I realized the ASVauto mode was missing and I called ResMed to ask how much it would cost to have my brand new model 36007 updated with new firmware or new motherboard or whatever, to get the ASVauto functionality which I thought I was getting when I bought my new machine. I was told it was not possible. "They are completely different models."

I complained also to the DME who sold me the unit. But, having already used the device for a week, the DME, perhaps understandably, refused to exchange it. My sales slip from the DME said ResMed model "S9 VPAP Adapt", which was what I had received. From a legal standpoint, I had received what I had ordered, and now it was used and non-returnable.

I blame ResMed, not the DME who had never been alerted by ResMed that there was now a newer model S9 VPAP Adapt and informed that a change in functionality had occurred, that the S9 VPAP Adapt model being advertised on ResMed's website was actually a different model than the S9 VPAP Adapt still in DME vendors' inventories.

I feel it was unethical for ResMed to have kept the old model name when there was a significant change in functionality. Changing the name to S9 VPAP Adapt II, or whatever, would have been the ethical thing to do, so buyers and DMEs would have become fully aware of the change.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have now talked to both Resmed and Philips and verified that neither one offers an easy way to upgrade a machine.
Resmed may be able to do some upgrades by replacing the PC board a $300 to $500 proposition.

Philips was evasive but admitted that they had a device that would allow them to flash the machine to update its firmware. When I asked how I could tell the difference between old stock and new they said just check our web site. When I told him what I saw on the web site he told me that was the old machine and he provided me with the current part number.

It really helps to do your homework, but they do not make it easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bwexler,

Thanks for the info. I will probably just get more used to what I currently have and consider upgrading some time in the future.

I did some research on the mask that you use....very interesting looking. How you used this mask for awhile? Is it much more comfortable than plastic masks? Do you have many problems with leaks?

Victor
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using SleepWeaver masks for about 2 years. The latest Anew full face mask for just over a month.
Think about sleeping with your cheek on the back edge of a butter knife vs a cloth pillow. For me that describes the difference between SleepWeaver and plastic masks.
I have had some issues with the Anew FF but I have worked through most of them.
My Élan is a year old and ready to be replaced in a couple weeks when I am due for my next mask. The Velcro is getting lazy and the cloth doesn't always seal as well as it once did.

As you can tell I should tell them to start paying me as a salesman.

(10-14-2013, 07:55 PM)Victor_Loher Wrote: Hi bwexler,

Thanks for the info. I will probably just get more used to what I currently have and consider upgrading some time in the future.

I did some research on the mask that you use....very interesting looking. How you used this mask for awhile? Is it much more comfortable than plastic masks? Do you have many problems with leaks?

Victor

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.