Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions on nasal pillows
Questions on nasal pillows
I have been successfully treated for apnea for a year now. A lot of learning and tweaking was involved and help from this forum. Thanks much!

I am considering trying a nasal pillow. My only experience was a few days with a Resmed Airfit P10. The main reason I did not like it was because I felt like I was not in control of my breathing. At times I felt like I was suffocating. It felt like the air was being rammed in and exhaling seemed to be very difficult. I do not believe that I had the exhalation pressure relief turned on. I am now using this with my face mask with good results.

Do I use the same pressure for the nasal mask that I am using for my face mask?

I do have daily nasal congestion and with my current mask it seems to decrease once I start my therapy

I am looking at using the Pilairo Q.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions on nasal pillows
Brad, one of the secrets in using the P10 is to go one pillow size larger than what you think will work. For instance if you used the medium, try the large.

Other than that, yes exhale pressure relief will help too.

I have found that since using the P10, I never have occasion to be concerned with nasal congestion. Even if I think I can't breath well through my nose because of a cold, I find that with the pillows system I can and it actually helps me get through the miserableness of the cold.

If you try the pillows again, leave your pressure settings where they are to begin with. Then check in daily with Mr. Sleepyhead to see what your results tell you, and whether or not you should might small adjustments up or down.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Pilario is well liked although a lot of users report sore nostrils and even sores inside the nostrils.

The Nuance is a good mask. Minimalistic. Nice headgear.

Check out the Review Forum and go through some of the reviews for other nasal pillows.

Like you, I didn't like the P10 for a wide array of reasons. But one thing to try is to increase the exhale pressure relief on your machine. Some nasal pillows, especially the P10, seem to need more help than others.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I just wanted to agree with Paula. I have all three nasal pillows and have been on therapy since October last year, after just spending a month traveling I only took the P10 with me and it has now become the pillow of choice.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the P10 as well and like it, however I had to do some "surgery" on the headgear to stop the leaks. I added a Velcro strap to the back of it to make it more secure. Now my leaks are extremely minimal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm normally a P10 user but after seeing posts about the Nuance I gave it a try, I have to say it is nice. The headgear is soft on the sides, as opposed to the P10's hard side supports, and doesn't displace the mask when I'm on my side. While it employes a different design for nasal sealing, it is good and comfortable.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 217 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 383 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,105 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 156 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 251 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 367 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.