Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions re Dreamstation and Airsense
Smile 
Questions re Dreamstation and Airsense
I am going to get either a Resmed Airsense A10 Autoset (probably for him) or a Dreamstation Auto. I have experience with both their predecessors so I know some things to check on. Here are some questions that I can't find an answer to:

1. Assuming I use just the data card to transfer data from the machine to my computer, for how many days will the machines retain complete data rather than just basic data. For example, my old PRS1 would keep full data for the most recent 30 days, where my (now deceased) S9 Autoset would keep full data for only seven days. Afterwards both machines would keep only AHI, leaks, minimum, maximum, median and 95%. I check my data with Sleepyhead, but sometimes I get lazy and don't check it for a long time.

2. What is the water capacity of the humidifier? Yes, it's not a big deal, but remember, I'm lazy. The fewer times I have to fill it, the better.

3. Can you set the clock? I mean really set the clock, like minutes, not just the hour. And dare I hope that it understands daylight savings time and adjusts itself automatically? Or, dreaming here, that it listens to the radio broadcast from the atomic clock?

4. I see that Resmed finally figured out that putting the hose connection on top instead of the back was a good idea. Does the connector swivel like the connector on the Dreamstation?

5. I understand that the Airsense uses some kind of cellular connection to send data automatically to the DME and it cannot be disabled except by putting the machine in airplane mode. I understand less about the Dreamstation's wireless connectivity. My dim grasp of it is that it uses wifi so it has to connect to your home (or nearby) wifi network. I find this less objectionable (assuming I am right) because then I could connect to the wifi with my computer and download data for Sleepyhead, while blocking a DME from getting past my firewall. Someone please clarify this for me.

I am collecting other data as well and eventually plan to make and post a chart-like comparison. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions re Dreamstation and Airsense
(03-21-2018, 11:07 PM)JJJ Wrote: 2. What is the water capacity of the humidifier? Yes, it's not a big deal, but remember, I'm lazy. The fewer times I have to fill it, the better.

3. Can you set the clock? I mean really set the clock, like minutes, not just the hour. And dare I hope that it understands daylight savings time and adjusts itself automatically? Or, dreaming here, that it listens to the radio broadcast from the atomic clock?

4. I see that Resmed finally figured out that putting the hose connection on top instead of the back was a good idea. Does the connector swivel like the connector on the Dreamstation?

5. I understand that the Airsense uses some kind of cellular connection to send data automatically to the DME and it cannot be disabled except by putting the machine in airplane mode. I understand less about the Dreamstation's wireless connectivity. My dim grasp of it is that it uses wifi so it has to connect to your home (or nearby) wifi network. I find this less objectionable (assuming I am right) because then I could connect to the wifi with my computer and download data for Sleepyhead, while blocking a DME from getting past my firewall. Someone please clarify this for me.

I am collecting other data as well and eventually plan to make and post a chart-like comparison. Smile

2)  The AirSense 10 holds 1 1/2 cups.  The DreamStation holds 1 1/3 cups.  (to the Max line)

3) The AirSense allows you to truly set the time.  The DreamStation let's you tweak the time (to the nearest 10 minutes?).

4) They both swivel.  On my AirSense 10, the swivel is in the back (lame).  On my DreamStation is on top of the humidifier (heavy/weird to open each day).  I try not to be bothered by this.  But I'm convinced the engineers must not have sleep apnea, and thus have never had to sleep with these machines.  I prefer the swivel on top.  I've knocked them off my nightstand an equal number of times.

5) They both use modems to send the data via cellular network.  They both also use Bluetooth to transmit the data to your cell phone.  Both allow you to switch them to Airplane Mode (thus disabling the modem & Bluetooth); the AirSense nags you about it, but I don't find it a big deal (I'm extremely motivated to not sleep near EMFs, so my tolerance level for nagging is probably high).  

The DreamStation's modem is easily removed - it slides right out, like a Nintendo game.  (For my DreamStation, I have removed the modem and I will throw it away once my insurance has paid off the machine. I also keep it in Airplane Mode, since I don't want to sleep next to Bluetooth.) The AirSense's modem is internal, and requires technological surgery to disable it.  (I don't want to risk messing up the machine, so I've not done the surgery.  But I keep mine in Airplane Mode.)

6) You didn't mention the noise factor. I think this is important to consider.  The AirSense is nearly silent; stealth; divine.  The DreamStation is audible, varying in a range of "slightly annoying" to "intolerable", depending on: your luck, your noise sensitivity, which filters you're using, if you use the humidifier, etc.

7) You also didn't mention the data they report, nor how the machine responds to events.  Others can speak more accurately about this than I can. But in my amateur way, I do know they are different.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed machine will give more data on a standalone basis when "plus" mode is selected. That is you get more information on screen than you would on a Dreamstation without having to use software or data transfer. Not everything, but much much more.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Answers to questions:

1. Air Sense 10 data retention is the same as the S9. I believe the Dreamstation is also the same.

2. Same as above.

3. You have to set the clock manually on both.

4. Same as above.

5. The modem on the dreamstation is removable. No Wifi for computer transfer though it does have bluetooth for transfer to a smart phone. Resmed no bluetooth and the modem is fixed and transfers via cell tower to Resmed. Only way to transfer data to your computer from either is using the SD card or using a wireless SD card.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense humidifier is adequate for 10-12 hours on "6" (out of 8) with ambient humidity in the low 20's and temperature around 68-70.
You need to drain, rinse, and refill the humidifier daily. It is a non-sterile, warm environment and will grow mold and bacteria.

The clock is settable to the minute. I does not change for DST. The clock is a reference only, and since the Resmed "day" changes at noon, some people who regularly sleep past noon intentionally run their clocks a few hours "slow" so the entire sleep session is logged on a single day.
There is no need to change the clock for DST, and attempting to change it to match your time zone when traveling has the potential to mess it up in a way that is tedious to correct since you can not set the clock "back" to before noon of the current day. Mine somehow ended up getting set 24 hours ahead and it took me 4 days of setting it back a few hours each night to correct.

The Resmed hose connection is on the back. There is a press-on 90 degree adapter that can be omitted or swivel *
* - I don't know if the heated ClimateLine hose can swivel
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Data retention on the Autoset is 365days of detailed data wereas the S9 was only 7 days.

The climate line hose can turn up 180 degrees to point left, up or down so is fairly flexible
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed is better. I have a Dreamstation. Go for the Resmed. I said it :-)
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 06:42 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: 5.  Resmed no bluetooth and the modem is fixed and transfers via cell tower to Resmed. 

Oh!  So ResMed doesn't do Bluetooth to the smartphone?  It goes through the modem (cellular), and then you access the info through your device's internet?

I didn't realize it's different from DreamStation in that way.

Then again, I don't use the apps since Sleepyhead is the info I want.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 09:14 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Data retention on the Autoset is 365days of detailed data wereas the S9 was only 7 days.

My original 2GB card has 610 day of data on it, with 5MB free space left (whew, caught it just in time). It has complete flow data, as I verified by creating a duplicate profile. That's a year and eight months...

So I'm guessing an 8GB card might last the life of the machine, with full data.

BTW, the Respironics machines seem to require less MB per day, but I don't know if they are more compressed or less detailed. (For what it's worth)
Post Reply Post Reply
My answers would ditto the above to the best I recall. Admitted, I'm more familiar with ResMed as I've had it longer and more recent. I'll defer to all the above on specifics.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 223 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 82 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 383 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 185 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 156 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  Switching from Dreamstation to Airsense 11 rorielly 8 1,088 04-01-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Swaggy
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 252 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.