Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do you do when you sneeze?
What do you do when you sneeze?
What do you do when you sneeze with your mask on if you don't have an ffm? Stuff a rag in it?

I have the flu, so this question is very relevant.

I don't have my machine yet, though. I'm trying to gauge whether I can breathe through my nose satisfactorily, even if some nights I breathe through my mouth. I'm actually experimenting with the notion that my nose will work as designed if I use a really warm and wet humidifier setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What do you do when you sneeze?
I've never had to sneeze with air blowing down my nose. But if I did I'd:

1.  pull the mask away

2. Sneeze

3. wipe my nose

4. Replace my mask

Crying-into-tissue
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
yep what walla walla said, and yes I have had to sneeze.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have sneezed into both a full face mask and nasal pillows. The full face mask was worse. More room for it to go. I got up and cleaned it. The pillows popped themselves out of place with the force of it. My sneezes rattle more windows than my snoring did. I put them back in. No use getting up to clean them since I was gonna sneeze again.

I have also found that my pillows work better on congestion than my FFM did. The pillows seemed to push the stuff to the side or whatever but I was still congested with the FFM and was having to breathe through my mouth.

If I have a cold or bad allergies, I use a nasal rinse before bed and first thing in the morning.

I also clean out the pillows each day, just because, ew. Funny though, I can go weeks between cleanings if I'm not got a cold.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have sneezed many times with nasal pillows. I can either suppress the sneeze, or if I let it go, the pressure is mostly relieved through the mouth and it's a non-event. It's easy to pull the nasal pillows away for a brief sneeze. The thing is, with PAP pressure, your nasal passages stay clearer, and the CPAP filter reduces allergens, so sneezing tends to be less frequent and does not result in as much nasal discharge most of the time. YMMV
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.