Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions to Resmed Airstart APAP discontinued production.
Questions to Resmed Airstart APAP discontinued production.
I currently owned a Resmed Airsense 10 APAP and I was thinking of buying Resmed Airstart APAP due to its affordable price (below $400) and having quite similar functions to the Airsense 10. Other than the WIFI, auto-start and full data report which I can get from my Airsense 10, I just need a basic back up set when I'm travelling occasionally and Airstart is the closest to what I am familiar with right now.

I understand the Airstart APAP was a recent addition to the CPAP market by Resmed (I think September 2016) but I was told the production of this machine was already discontinued. Many CPAP suppliers have already stopped selling this product. However, there are still a few sellers carrying some old stocks of this model.

Is the discontinuation of this model barely a year after a short successful start due to any inherent defects or problems with the set? What are the reasons to the discontinuation of the set.

Is it advisable to buy the set considering it might be difficult to get warranty replacement and spare parts (like filters, machine parts) later on?

Would appreciate any feedback from forummers especially on the quality of the Airstart. 

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions to Resmed Airstart APAP discontinued production.
You may be able to make it work as a backup, but I personally wouldn't bother with the airstart. It only provides compliance data. I personally use my main device while traveling and it works very well.

You could also check Amazon - they usually have Dreamstation Auto and potentially the Airsense 10 autoset and they are usually not much more then the airstart.
Post Reply Post Reply
I owned an airstart, upgraded to an airsense when my friend said "why did you buy the cheap one... this is a third of your life sleeping" and eventually ended up with an aircurve for bilevel comfort.  

There was no difference in airstart or airsense except the reasons you noted.  It is an exceptional value.  A lot of people do not look at their data the way we do.  I suspect 99%of apap users dont look at it.. it is just us.

In fact I am trying to get myself to stop obsessing over it... i should be concerned with how i feel, not what some number says every single day.  

Go for it.. i see the airstart under $300 out there.

Also-- you should have no issue with parts. It is identical to the airsense except the airsense has a modem and software with more features.

Why are they discontinuing it?  Probably because 99% of people (i am making this number up) dont care for the extra features and so it is costing resmed money when they would buy the airsense but they go for airstart. That is my guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is currently an Airsense 10 Autoset # 37207 for $478 on Amazon with free shipping. I would think the difference in price is well worth it. Don't dawdle, these don't last long.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect that Resmed discontinued the AirStart machine because of their newest travel machine, the AirMini. I wouldn’t want the AirMini because of their proprietary hoses and masks.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Heov and the rest.

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Taken from another site. Compared to the Airsense, the Airstart has:
No auto ramp
No Smart/Auto Start
No Climate Control
No Remote Assist
No Wireless Module
Not compatible to Myair Apps
Very limited data report
No Heated hose

The included SD card records only hours used, mask seal and humidification indicators, and AHI.

Unless you absolutely must have a new one, consider getting another model just like yours from Craigslist. If you must have new, then another airsense from Amazon, or one of the suppliers (open box, returns, etc). I managed to score a never used Airsense for Her for $150 for my backup from Offerup. Except for CA, there are actually no restrictions for individuals selling their machines (2nd sale).
Post Reply Post Reply
The heated hose might be a deal breaker for me. But the rest is not important to me as a "backup". OP already has an airsense.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hesitated mainly due to the fact that Airstart was discontinued after less than a year in the market which is abnormal. Resmed's S9 and Airsense 10 have been in production for years. I'm just worried that it was "recalled" due to some inherent defects or problem and the difficulty to claim warranty or find spare parts later on since it is out of production. Other than that, the inconsequential limitations of Airstart are acceptable to me because I already owned an Airsense 10 autoset.

Like Heov said, when I first owned the APAP I analysed the data to death everyday. After one year, I no longer bother to analyse the data any more as long as I sleep well and the general screen shows a AHI index of less than 1, each morning I wake up.

I believe all CPAP machines have an average lifespan. If I buy a used CPAP, although it is cheaper, I am actually paying for the shorter unused lifespan. At the end of the day, it comes to the same thing unless one can score a fantastic deal on a never used set like Mosquitobait.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2017, 12:59 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: I suspect that Resmed discontinued the AirStart  machine because of their newest travel machine, the AirMini.  I wouldn’t want the AirMini because of their proprietary hoses and masks.

I suspect that's not the case: the AirStart costs below $300, the AirMini above $800. Hardly the same market segment, same expected usage etc.

They just discontinued the AirStart because they make more money out of the AirSense. In term of hardware, they are basically the same machine (apart from the front buttons), so the low end versions were making less profit to them, as opposed to having defects.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 381 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 199 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,227 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 154 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 227 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.