Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions
Questions
Hi, I am looking at trying to buy a CPAP/APAP machine, but, because of my ridiculous health insurance, I am going to have to buy out of pocket. I did some sleep studies 6-10 years ago, and I was told I had sleep apnea, but at the time, the insurance said it wasn't 'bad enough' for them to cover treatment. My father has sleep apnea, I know I do as well, I snore loud enough to keep people on the other side of the house awake, I stop breathing at times during the night, I don't sleep well, I'm never rested, etc.

Anyway, I am simply overwhelmed at the amount of different machines out there, and dont really know where to start. I am a mouth breather, so I know I'll need a full face mask. But beyond that, i'm at a loss.

I am sure my regular doctor will give me a prescription, as most places I've seen do require one to purchase a machine. Although, are there reputable places to purchase used machines, that may be less expensive? What brand/type is best for the money, as I'll have to pay all out of pocket?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, my S/O is a light sleeper, and even the earplugs and such aren't enough to let her sleep, and at the same time, I know this is causing me other health issues that are only going to get worse.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions
Welcome
Supplier #2 on the supplier list at the top of the page is a good place for used and new "opened box" machines.
In your circumstances I would suggest an auto titrating and data capable machine. ResMed S9 AutoSet (NOT Escape Auto) is a nice machine that fits the bill. There is a really good article on the board's wiki (at top of page) about picking a machine. You should check it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BryanB,
WELCOME! to the forum.! There is a link on what CPAP machines to buy here on this forum. Also, you can look at the supplier list on this board; Supplier #2 is a good place to look for gently used, open-box machines. I think an auto-pap is the way to go.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you on your decision and with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 12:39 PM)BryanB Wrote: I did some sleep studies 6-10 years ago, and I was told I had sleep apnea, but at the time, the insurance said it wasn't 'bad enough' for them to cover treatment.

Anyway, I am simply overwhelmed at the amount of different machines out there, and dont really know where to start. I am a mouth breather, so I know I'll need a full face mask. But beyond that, i'm at a loss.
Thank you
did you keep any copies of the sleep studies

machines such as S9 AutoSet can detect central sleep apnea but cannot diagnose or treat central sleep apnea

to make simple, for someone with just simple sleep apnea
I would recommend S9 AutoSet (Not S9 Escape Auto or S9 Escape) and ignore all other machines

The S9 AutoSet provide better data display on the lcd and supported by two free readily available software, ResScan and SleepHead

many folk who think they,re mouth breathers including myself, can use nasal successfully with the addition of chinstrap
chinstrap can helps minimize mouth leaks

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 04:29 PM)zonk Wrote: to make simple, for someone with just simple sleep apnea
I would recommend S9 AutoSet (Not S9 Escape Auto or S9 Escape) and ignore all other machines

Well, that's sure keeping it simple! Bigwink

Hi BryanB, welcome to the forum!

I believe the recommendations referred to earlier are here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

I think the "gently used" machines from Supplier #2 come with at least 6 month warrantee, even if they happen to have outlived their original warrantee. (Many units have low number of hours used, even if several years old.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 08:11 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(01-20-2013, 04:29 PM)zonk Wrote: to make simple, for someone with just simple sleep apnea

Well, that's sure keeping it simple! Bigwink
yes simple enough. call me simple Simon

I find too many choices confusing and time consuming
even when shopping in big supermarkets
always when get to the checkout to pay ... find that spend more money than there is in my wallet!

S9 AutoSet is choice #1
if wanted to save money than there is choice #2
check out Phillips Respironcis System One Auto with A-Flex from Supplier #1
new release machine $595 and the humidifier is included in the price

SleepyHead works with this machine

Post Reply Post Reply
If I did not have the S9 Escape, I probably would have gotten the PRS1 auto. But since I had the Escape with the humidifier, I just had to buy the blower unit of the Autoset from Supplier #2. You will need a prescription for both mask and machine.

The good thing about an autoPAP is it can adjust the pressure according to what you need. And, if you prefer, you can use it to figure out the best pressure then set the machine to "straight" CPAP. Best of both worlds.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 09:22 PM)zonk Wrote: S9 AutoSet is choice #1
if wanted to save money than there is choice #2
check out Phillips Respironcis System One Auto with A-Flex from Supplier #1
new release machine $595 and the humidifier is included in the price

SleepyHead works with this machine

Supplier #1 has new PRS1 Auto with Aflex series 50 units with humidifier for $595
Supplier #2 has "gently used" PRS1 Auto with Aflex series 50 units with humidifier for $399
I recently bought a PRS1 Auto with Aflex series 60 unit with the heated tube humidifier (DS560TS) from Supplier #9 for $649 and I really, really like this unit! I highly recommend this unit AND Supplier #9.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2013, 01:47 AM)twindad Wrote: I recently bought a PRS1 Auto with Aflex series 60 unit with the heated tube humidifier (DS560TS) from Supplier #9 for $649 and I really, really like this unit! I highly recommend this unit AND Supplier #9.
I have not used them, they don,t ship outside US
I have used Supplier #2 and 10, both are reliable and delivered promptly

did they gave you discount
the price advertised on their site for DS560TS PRS1 with heated humidifier and heated tube ... MSRP: $979.00
[Get SALES PRICE Sent to Your Email or Use DISCOUNT CODE]

Post Reply Post Reply
There are some very good new machines available at good prices. Just besure you can get a humidifier and it is data capable (shows AHI at the least)
You will need a prescription unless you have a prescription. Some people on other forums sell them on the forum. Good luck,
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 266 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.