Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quick BIPAP question
Quick BIPAP question
Does it let you ramp the pressure support?

For example, maybe a high PS might not be good for centrals, but can you at least have like 5 EPAP and 15 IPAP until you get to sleep, and then have it become 10 EPAP and 15 IPAP after 30 minutes?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quick BIPAP question
There may be some exceptions but as far as I know all bilevel machines have a ramp facility.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not aware of any machines that have a ramp feature specifically for pressure support.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may have misunderstood the original question. I'd have to read up the manuals but I think bluesboybob is right. Different machines apply the ramp in different ways.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never used a Dreamstation BiLevel, but I think they move IPAP and EPAP somewhat independently. I don't know how that works in ramp though. You could try looking at a Clinician manual for that machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2019, 06:49 AM)Broomstick Wrote: Does it let you ramp the pressure support?

For example, maybe a high PS might not be good for centrals, but can you at least have like 5 EPAP and 15 IPAP until you get to sleep, and then have it become 10 EPAP and 15 IPAP after 30 minutes?

This is not how ramp works.  You can start at a lower EPAP pressure with your PS range.  It will deliver EPAP min and PS min, and gradually ramp EPAP to minimum until ramp ends.  After ramp, the PS range and full machine pressure setting range will kick in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The variable gap using PS is one area where Respironics is ahead of Resmed in my opinion (and I've used BiPAP for both).

On the ResMed, the pressure difference between EPAP and IPAP are kept at a constant with the values moving up and down together. This value is Pressure Support and is fixed.
On the Respironics, this difference is allowed to float with each pressure adjusting separately but not allowed to get closer than the fixed number of the settings. This value is Pressure Support and is variable.

Even though I like the variable PS idea, the way that the Resmed deals with events is far more proactive than the Respironics for me. If Resmed introduced variable PS then this would be a new machine (series 11?) and a major step forward.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 197 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR Privacy and quick upload Fix? EasySleep 3 139 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 348 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 452 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,020 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 616 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Central sleep apnea - A quick 5 minute video explanation. Expat31 2 529 09-20-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.