Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quick Question about Max pressure and sleep disturbance potential
Quick Question about Max pressure and sleep disturbance potential
Hi All,
As I am reviewing my "stuff" in anticipation of first post pap visit with Doctor on Wednesday, I notice that at least for last night, I came close to my max of 14.0 at about 13.84. So it seems obvious to me I should raise my top pressure number to at least 15.0.

I then note that in the last 3 months, my max pressure for whole periods 9 could have been a blip, no time to go page by page at mo) was 15.54.

So Maybe I should raise it to 16.

I am very sensitive to increases in the lower number, and have had to inch a week-10 days at a time up by .2 at a time to get to where I am now at 7.8.

How likely is it, that I will mind or even notice the top being increased to 15-or 16? Which would you go for?

The Hen,
More excited than anxious, about the BIG appt.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quick Question about Max pressure and sleep disturbance potential
I'm still pretty new at this, but here's my thought on it...

If you're frequently hitting the top limit, coming down a little and bouncing right up against it again, you should probably raise it because it's acting as a ceiling for where the pressure wants to go.

If you only come near the limit one time during the night (and especially if you don't even touch it), you could probably lower the top limit and still get basically the same result, without having your pressure change so much from low to high. In general I would think a narrower range is better than a wider range (as long as it covers your needs).

p.s. I did raise my upper limit one night in a similar case to what you described, and found it wasn't using that area. So I have gone exploring in that direction just to see if it was needed... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not recommend you increase upper pressure until after you talk to your doctor. With EPR at 3, your EPAP pressure remains at 12 when you're hitting those peaks. As I discussed in the other thread, I think that you will be trading OA for CA. This is one of the limitations of CPAP that might move you to bilevel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My view on this is:
The Auto machines use snores and FLs as precursor events and use it to raise pressure. Consequently, if you are not seeing any Real events while your pressure is bumping at top limit, there is no point in raising the roof.

The frequent pressure changes in itself may cause microarousals in some people and bump them out of a deeper sleep stage to a shallower stage and cause them to feel Unrefreshed in the morning. I am one of them. I now sleep at a straight pressure of 7.5.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the SH charts you posted in another thread, I would suggest not increasing pressure.
Pressure treats OAs -- and you seem to have those in control. You may exacerbate your CAs.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks All. Good point Mongo! Agreed.
The Hen
Pecking on iphone ruffling feathers .
Post Reply Post Reply
Nah. Occasional blips probably don't mean much. I wouldn't unless you were actually hitting it consistently (several times a night, most nights) and it was causing disturbance in sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to go with the hold off bumping up the pressure school of thought. You don't want to get those CA's all riled up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Pressure] My sleep dr raised pressure to 16 Vickil 4 148 03-19-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question OSCAR Privacy and quick upload Fix? EasySleep 3 104 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 585 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,283 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.