Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quick Question...
Quick Question...
Been using my Respironics machine for a little over two years now. Question is, how long do they generally last before needing replacement?

I have a love/hate relationship with this machine (60 series, don't know the exact model off hand), and probably should be thinking about replacement sometime in the future.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quick Question...
they can last over 5 years. Things change in the way of improvement/new technology in 5 years (and things change in less than that sometimes). In the past, most insurance companies would allow a new machine after 5 years (this may or may not be the case now). If you don't have insurance, you can purchase a new one at any time. Check out the supplier list at the top of this forum. If you do have insurance, check with them. Also, if you changed insurance companies after you got your machine 2 years ago, it is possible that you could get a new machine as they haven't purchased one for you under their policy. They may require a sleep study in order to do that. They may not do it if they realize that you had a sleep study and a machine 2 years ago. If the machine is not helping (as it didn't with me when I had a S9 auto so I had another sleep study with a vpap and it was determined that I did better with the vpap and it has helped me more than the auto. I do still wake up throughout the night but I can go right back to sleep unless I get up because I want to do something. Whatever you do, be honest with your current insurance company as the last thing you want is for them to say you withheld information from them. I don't know if that equates to insurance fraud but I wouldn't take the chance. HOpe this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just my APAP on Sep 20 of this year and the replacement schedule for the APAP is still 5 years.

I don't know about the current type of APAP/CPAP but my hubby's old CPAP "brick" (no data other than hours used) lasted 12 yrs so far and my sister then used it for a month prior to getting her machine and may be used by her hubby until he gets a sleep study and his machine.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: Question is, how long do they generally last before needing replacement?

As ME50 was saying , Machines can last over 5 years or more . Know of one friend that I helped find a newer PR 560 to replace his 10 plus year old Remstar had over 19000 Hrs on it and sounded like a vacuum cleaner from the room next door . It Still worked good ,if you could stand to be near it . Annoyed-and-disappointed
The Technology keeps improving every couple of years . My friend told me that he sleeps better now that he's on a auto machine instead of a fixed pressure machine and has the benefit that his wife will sleep in the same room again .
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thanks everybody. That more than answers my question.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Duck! We're fond of any ducks around here..... And yet, you mention you are from "The Least Populated State.." Hmmm, I believe that's "The great State of Grace?" Could be wrong about that.

Now, as to your question, which admittedly has been well answered, and yet here I come with my own humble opinion..... Whether 1 year, 5 years, or 2 weeks, my machine will last me until I see something out there that I think I'd rather have. I'm coming close to that time with the new A10 series.. Just waiting until I can no longer restrain my "click here to purchase" finger. Then, my very fine Resmed S9 will find it's way to Mr. Craigs list, or perhaps to someone who really needs a machine and cannot afford one.

Post Reply Post Reply
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! That would be Wyoming!
I think the S10 is one ugly buzzard.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 12:34 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi Duck! We're fond of any ducks around here..... And yet, you mention you are from "The Least Populated State.." Hmmm, I believe that's "The great State of Grace?" Could be wrong about that.

Now, as to your question, which admittedly has been well answered, and yet here I come with my own humble opinion..... Whether 1 year, 5 years, or 2 weeks, my machine will last me until I see something out there that I think I'd rather have. I'm coming close to that time with the new A10 series.. Just waiting until I can no longer restrain my "click here to purchase" finger. Then, my very fine Resmed S9 will find it's way to Mr. Craigs list, or perhaps to someone who really needs a machine and cannot afford one.

I like your idea of giving to someone who cannot afford one.
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Post Reply Post Reply
justMongo,

Well, I grant you, it is not as classy looking as the S9 but wait until you see what I DID to the S9---

[Image: ResMedS9AutoSetw-SkinSep2014_zps7cd2d7ae.jpg]

Wall paper border with shipping tape on the back (so NO paste will get on the machine) and attached with removable double sided tape. Less than $5 while the ready made skins cost $35 and up.
Post Reply Post Reply
The newer machines have a real time clock watch battery that keeps the time. I'm not sure if anything else on the machine depends on it.

The lowlife manufacturers don't have any easy way for the end patient to replace this battery. I suspect even most DME's can not replace it without sending it back to the manufacturer. On Philips Respironics machines, the end user and most DME's can't reset the clock even if you can figure out how to replace the battery.

It sounds to me like it's sort of built in self destruct to generate a service call or make you replace the CPAP machine.

However, I haven't heard of many people who have had the battery die on them, or what happens if the battery dies, other than the clock being wrong. I think these kinds of batteries rarely last longer than 5-10 years, so maybe we'll start getting a lot of failures sometime soon. Maybe this is the cause of some of the machines that pop up useless "service required" messages.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OSCAR Privacy and quick upload Fix? EasySleep 3 102 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 589 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Central sleep apnea - A quick 5 minute video explanation. Expat31 2 508 09-20-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the ResMed 'For Her' settings? Robert89 2 505 09-16-2023, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] How quick do autosets change pressure? ted13 9 837 08-07-2023, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 628 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Quick question about 'next steps' - Crummy doctor - CSA maineiac 3 538 07-10-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.