Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quick Setup question for PRS1
Quick Setup question for PRS1
OK - Going to try seitching over to pilloow mask for a short time (hopefully short).

On the PRS1 60 series, I could not find, either in the regular or the clinician setup menus, a selection for type of mask (FF, nasal, or pillow). I have seen it on the ResMed machines - does PR not have it on the System One? Did I just miss it? If so, where is it found?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quick Setup question for PRS1
It's called System One Resistance or something approximately like that and has values of X1, X2, X3, etc. I think the P10 nasal pillows are approximately an X1 value. If you have a Respironics mask, the resistance X value will be printed on the packaging.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like it depends on the pillow size, here is what I found:

[Image: QM0R6vc.jpg]

My understanding is that this is a relatively minor adjustment and more marketing than vital to therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the setting have anything to do with actual therapy or is it just a setting to help the machine figure out the true leak rate (netting the expected leak rate for the mask from total loss to figure true leaks)?

That is what I am inferring form other threads in other places.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
The resistance control helps the machine compensate for pressure loss felt at the mask interface compared to the pressure delivered from the machine side. It makes sure that mask pressure is accurate to what is shown on the display. And it also ensures that aflex/cflex relief levels are accurate.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2016, 02:27 AM)AshSF Wrote: The resistance control helps the machine compensate for pressure loss felt at the mask interface compared to the pressure delivered from the machine side. It makes sure that mask pressure is accurate to what is shown on the display. And it also ensures that aflex/cflex relief levels are accurate.

So..... My reading is that it really doesn't matter from a therapeutic standpoint then (for an auto user since if you're having events, it will increase pressure to whatever level is required, regardless of what the display says, so long as the range is wide enough), just the metrics that the machine reports.

What setting to use for the P10 mask?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was using a PRS1 machine, I changed the resistance to approximate the correct setting for my Airfit P10. It resulted in a significant enough increase in AHI and events, that I just reverted to off "0". In theory the correct setting should compensate for the mask volume and intentional leak rate, but I didn't find it of much use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with it off as I couldn't find any X value reference for the ResMed P10 mask. (That's what it was set on with the Mirage FX mask too.)

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
So...what is the correct setting using P10's with System 1 PR 560? Is it Resistance set to X1 or off?

Second question, why do we cap off the upper range in auto mode? I understand setting the lower end of the range and why it is better, but if your pressure is only going to go as high as needed then why not just leave the upper at 20? Maybe I'm just confused?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I dunno. I just left mine set to "OFF". Seems to be what most folks are saying to do anyway. My numbers seemed to settle somewhat after night one.

I dunno the answer to the second question either. Bottom of the range I don't like to tolerate below an 8, which is within a couple clicks of my 95% number 10,5-11.0). It makes sense to set the bottom near your therapy number so the machine can spend more time treating and less time hunting and pecking and ramping around to get to the therapy number. Most nights, I stay around 9-10 for therapy, sometimes falling back to 8, and popping up to 11-11.5 a few times a night. And I don't know why the cap is a good idea, unless maybe some folks get disturbed by a pressure higher than the set max. For now, I'm leaving mine at 20 and will do a few weeks and see if I am ever crossing or approaching the 15 I had as max. May reduce back then if no deviations above that, may not. AS you observe, it won't go there if it don't need to. Unless teh machine goes rogue. And if it did, why would it stop at a preset?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,672 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question OSCAR Privacy and quick upload Fix? EasySleep 3 100 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,937 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,177 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 589 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.