Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quick Setup question for PRS1
RE: Quick Setup question for PRS1
I can only speak for myself, but my System One will hike the pressure up to whatever max I set if it determines Flow Limitations and Snores, which in my early treatment I experienced many FL, Snores, and RERA's. And that hike in pressure would ultimately wake me up, so I keep my max setting to 2cm above my 90% number. On occasion, I encounter FL and Snores that will send the pressure right up to my maximum setting of 13, with no other apnea events in site, and I don't want it going any higher if not needed. Hope that makes sense.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes total sense.

OMMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, cate. This thread has some discussion of reasons for capping max pressure. See post(s) by vsheline in particular.

(07-31-2016, 06:10 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Second question, why do we cap off the upper range in auto mode? I understand setting the lower end of the range and why it is better, but if your pressure is only going to go as high as needed then why not just leave the upper at 20? Maybe I'm just confused?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks green wings! It's good I guess to avoid the possibility of increased Centrals and increased Intraoccular pressure. Good catch!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
These machines have algorithms in them that are tuned for the "average" user, you might say. But none of us are "average". While the algorithms are pretty good for a lot of people they do not work for everyone. If I leave my machine open at the top it goes pretty close to 20 and seemingly tries to blow the mask off my face. BUT it doesn't make my AHI any lower. In fact at a steady pressure of 11 with EPR set at three my AHI is pretty well always under one and zero maybe half the time. I'm not the patient this particular machine was designed for, although it works just fine as a CPAP machine and keeps my AHI low. But a low AHI doesn't help me much on its own because my 02 levels on the machine alone go very low even though no or very few apneas are recorded, obstructive *or* central. So they added oxygen in during sleep and that made the difference. I still want the positive pressure to prevent the obstructive events and to get good data on how I am doing.

Of course I am probably an outlier with very unusual requirements, but still since most of us aren't average it makes sense to me that many of us will be better off without the machine set to run "wide open".
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
X1 will work for any ffm or nasal mask.

As for pillows id set to 0. There are several x settings for different pillow masks in the repironics line. Id doubt you would hit the right pillow setting guessing.

The x setting has nothing to do with leak rate, everything to do with machine overcoming mask resistance to flow and pressure.
Use O on non respironics pillows

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,907 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 300 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question OSCAR Privacy and quick upload Fix? EasySleep 3 153 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 2,019 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 276 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,875 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 621 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.