Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quieting the exhale whistle on my Resmed S9 Autoset
Quieting the exhale whistle on my Resmed S9 Autoset
I haven't been on the forum for over a year now. Been undergoing serious heart issues and beating cancer, but NEVER during the entire ordeal have I stopped using my CPAP!
OK, back to the subject at hand. I recieved a nearly new S9 Autoset from a friend that just could not adapt to the therapy. I have been using a Resmed S8 Elite II for over 4.5 years and have had no problems or issues with it at all during this time, but, one does not turn down a gift of an S9. I went full auto the first night to see what it felt like and my AHI was 0.2 for 8.5 hours of sleep. Not bad, since I was always between 1.0 and 5.5 on straight CPAP with the S8. Last night I set it for CPAP mode and set my pressure to 10.6 which is what the sleep study showed as my optimum pressure. This morning my wife said I should switch back to the S8 because the unit whistled very loud all night whien I exhaled. No problem says I! I thought about it for a while, and since I am off work today, took about 10 minutes to check the unit to be sure it was connected OK, checked the filter and added another so it was double filtered, and put the mask on and breathed and listened. Sure enough, there was the whistle. I set it for full auto again, turned off the EPR, set my pessure range from 8-14 to 8-13, cut a piece nonskid rubber for the uniut to set on, filled the humidifier, left the EPR off, put the mask on, turned on the unit and listened again. No whistle at all, even with my hardest breathing. I asked my wife to lay in bed on her side while I simulated being asleep. I turned the unit on and we laid there for about 10 minutes and it passed her test, NO WHISTLe AT ALL!
Simple solution that worked for me, but, your results may vary.
It's good to be back again.
Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quieting the exhale whistle on my Resmed S9 Autoset
Thanks Rycharde. Glad to see (read) you on the board. So at this point you're running straight apap 8/13? No ramp? Sounds like you got your machine at a very good price indeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 12:07 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Thanks Rycharde. Glad to see (read) you on the board. So at this point you're running straight apap 8/13? No ramp? Sounds like you got your machine at a very good price indeed.

That's correct. No ramp, no EPR and use the humidifier as a passover, no heat but I do fill it with distilled water. The high and low limits place my titration value almost between them, so the APAP does not have to hunt far, and it hits the titration mark almost exactly throughout an 8 hours sleep.
Yes, the lady, a good friend of ours, had her mind set on not liking or using the S9, and although her insurance made her do the compliance hours, the unit had only 600 hours total on it. That comes to 75 days if she used it 8 hours per day, which she didn't. My S8 is within 6 months of it's usefull life, and I was going to get an S9 Elite, but she was so sick of this one that had I not taken it, she was going to trash it, so what's a guy to do?
Yes, it had the dreaded "expiration whistle", but that was easily fixed after testing it in CPAP mode one night, and Auto mode the next.
I'll jump in occasionaly Retired_Guy, but need some time to figure out who is still on the forum from 4.5 years ago.
Have a blessed Easter,
Rycharde Wave
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, 4 1/2 years ago I was still a young pup living vicariously the life. Or maybe that was 40 and 1/2 years ago.... I forget.

The folks at my VA sleep clinic tell me they have about a 40% drop out rate. That suggests there are a ton of lightly used machines sitting in peoples closets everywhere. What a shame that anyone, lacking insurance, should have to purchase a machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rycharde,
Thanks for the tip on quieting your S9AutoSet.
Glad to have you back on the forum and hope to see you around, often.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 01:36 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Rycharde,

Hi Trish,
I don't remember you from years ago, but Robiesue was there, in fact, I think she was going through some trials an errors and frustrations at that time.
It's only by the grace of God that I am here today. I've conquered cancer, had 6 heart attacks, 3 stents in my heart and still have one artery that's 100% blocked, and am now implanted with a very fancy and very expensive pacemaker/defibrilator. On my end table are my APAP and a transmission device for my PM. Iron man has nothing on me, cause I'm a cyborg as well!
Curious, why do you have your APAP set for 7-20 if your titration pressure is 10? I brought my high limit down to 13 and my low up to 8. Less hunting by the unit when you are trying to sleep, and it cuts down on exhale noise as well. Just saying....
Good typing at you,
Have a blessed day
Rycharde Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 01:57 PM)Rycharde Wrote:
(04-16-2014, 01:36 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Rycharde,

Hi Trish,
I don't remember you from years ago, but Robiesue was there, in fact, I think she was going through some trials an errors and frustrations at that time.
It's only by the grace of God that I am here today. I've conquered cancer, had 6 heart attacks, 3 stents in my heart and still have one artery that's 100% blocked, and am now implanted with a very fancy and very expensive pacemaker/defibrilator. On my end table are my APAP and a transmission device for my PM. Iron man has nothing on me, cause I'm a cyborg as well!
Curious, why do you have your APAP set for 7-20 if your titration pressure is 10? I brought my high limit down to 13 and my low up to 8. Less hunting by the unit when you are trying to sleep, and it cuts down on exhale noise as well. Just saying....
Good typing at you,
Have a blessed day
Rycharde Big Grin
Hi Rycharde,
I hav only been here for a couple years.
You are very fortunate, it sounds like you have been through a lot.
As far as my pressures, I have two different S9AutoSets, one I use as backup, which is set for 4-20 CM-H2O and wwhen I bought my newest one, I decided to have it set to 7-20 CMH2O. I would like to make some improvements to my pressure settings, but because I can't see, I haven't been able to make such improvements and I don't know anyone that I feel really comfortable with having them do it.. Most people I know, don't know much about these kinds of things. So I understand what you are saying, but 'till I find someone that really understands these machines, I just kind of make due and I do pretty well.
Good typing at you, too.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 02:16 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Rycharde,
As far as my pressures, I have two different S9AutoSets, one I use as backup, which is set for 4-20 CM-H2O and wwhen I bought my newest one, I decided to have it set to 7-20 CMH2O. I would like to make some improvements to my pressure settings, but because I can't see, I haven't been able to make such improvements and I don't know anyone that I feel really comfortable with having them do it.. Most people I know, don't know much about these kinds of things. So I understand what you are saying, but 'till I find someone that really understands these machines, I just kind of make due and I do pretty well.
Good typing at you, too.

Hi Trish. I understand your being blind, but how do you communicate as well as you do on the computer? Are you able to see large objects, like a large screen TV hooked up as a monitor, or no sight at all? Maybe you've tried this already, but you do have friends, at least I assume you do and that can get me in trouble at times, what if you had a trusted friend get on this forum and learn about your machines, download the clinical manuals and learn how to set them up as you request or guide her?
Now I'm not blind (although my wife thinks I'm color blind, I just dress like I am) but perhaps you've already been there/done that.
Don't think me as a nosy one, just trying to walk in your shoes, so to speak.
Rycharde Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 03:48 PM)Rycharde Wrote:
(04-16-2014, 02:16 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Rycharde,
Good typing at you, too.

Hi Trish. I understand your being blind, but how do you communicate as well as you do on the computer? Are you able to see large objects, like a large screen TV hooked up as a monitor, or no sight at all? Maybe you've tried this already, but you do have friends, at least I assume you do and that can get me in trouble at times, what if you had a trusted friend get on this forum and learn about your machines, download the clinical manuals and learn how to set them up as you request or guide her?
Now I'm not blind (although my wife thinks I'm color blind, I just dress like I am) but perhaps you've already been there/done that.
Don't think me as a nosy one, just trying to walk in your shoes, so to speak.
Rycharde Okay
Hi Rycharde,
Oh I don't think you are being nosey at all. The reason I can manage the computer is because I use what is called text-to-speach. I type something and my screen reader reads it back to me in a computer voice. The CPAP machines don't have text-to-speach so I am unable to make any changes that I want to make.
I do have the manual so that's not a big deal. It's not that I don't know anybody, I just don't know anyone that is really familiar with CPAP machines. I'll keep trying though.
As far as seeing large objects, I am totally blind. So you dress like you are blind, )Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha,) that's funny.
Take care,
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a note about my experience with the S9 and noise. I have found that on occasion when I turn it on, there will be either a loud wind sound or a whistle. I have found that it is always due to the humidifier cover not being tightly closed. The type and amount of noise depends on how ajar it is. Re-closing it and making sure it is properly closed and latched fixes it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 394 38 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 109 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 468 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,858 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,240 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.